Not idling and bogging at 1/8 throttle

Hey y’all so I finally got my Shee running again. It ran and idles great one night then wouldn’t start the next morning, had a friend mess with the wiring and then I couldn’t get any spark, replaced stator and coil, still nothing, ended up buying all new electrical from Vito’s, got a harness, cdi, regulator, ignition/key, and coil, got spark and she started right up with some fresh gas

Now my problem is it won’t idle and bogs while making a funny sound coming from carbs when I start to push on the throttle. I tried for 2 hrs messing with air and idle screw.

Turning air out 1 turn, 2 turns

Turning idle all the way in, 1.5 out, 2.5 out, 4 turns out, even tried to back out until the slide was all the way down then tried to turn 2.5 in when it started to move but it would set in at like 1.5 turns.

I synced the carbs and have slight play in throttle. I could get rid of most of the bog when adjusting the air and idle screw but still can’t keep it idling.

Main jets: 290

Pilot: 30

I’m not sure if these should be changed or not I’m still trying to learn the whole richer and leaner so I NEED HELP PLEASE I’m not sure if it would make a different but I use to run 40:1 ratio but I just put in 32:1 because that’s what my brother had so I’m not sure if that could be a problem as well.

Mods:

66mm 370cc big bore kit

Stage 3 port cylinders

I believe vforce 4 reeds but I can’t remember

Toomey t5s

Boost bottle

Tors delete (was done by previous owner)

It will idle fine with choke out but once I push it back in it won’t idle for long. So my problem is the bogging and idling. Someone help me please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if it would be worth adding but after hours of trying to adjust the carbs to get the idling right and fix the bog, I finally packed it up for the night and took the carbs in the house to take apart and I cleaned all the jets just in case that was the problem, I’ll have to wait til tomorrow to try but as I took them apart I noticed the bowl with the jet that I believe is for the choke from other forums was on the wrong carb and so I also put that bowl on the choke carb, don’t know if either of those would have to do with my problem but I’ll be checking tomorrow.

If it runs better with choke youre not getting enough fuel. Good start with carb cleaning. Just make sure you put slides/ bowls in/on correctly . dont forget cross over tube.

unfortunately, You made it worse by buying from vitos.

Hopefully you get it running good before all your vitos parts fail.

If it runs better with choke youre not getting enough fuel. Good start with carb cleaning. Just make sure you put slides/ bowls in/on correctly . dont forget cross over tube.
unfortunately, You made it worse by buying from vitos.
Hopefully you get it running good before all your vitos parts fail.

I’m not sure about running better but it would idle with the choke out a little, didn’t take it out because it’s pretty stripped right now. Harness isn’t tucked, flywheel cover is off, gas tank isn’t bolted down

I thought Vito’s was a reputable place to buy banshee parts? Where should I have gotten my electrical parts?

Vito’s used to be so so parts. Not top of the line, but not bad. Then ‘ole rattle can Ray bought them out. Pretty sure it’d be better to sign your soul over to the devil. The guy is a piece of work to say the least. 

Most of the site sponsors here can either get you what you want, or get you pointed in the right direction.

Either way, if it starts running better when you give it some choke, that is an indication that it is getting too little fuel to run. Your carbs may be dirty, or you may have a large air leak in the motor. If cleaning the carbs don’t work, look up how to do a leakdown test. That alone will give you peace of mind And save you money on parts. 

Oh I see, damn well looks like I’ll be looking for a new company to buy from. So got the carbs cleaned and put back on and now she won’t start. Getting spark, gas is getting on the plugs but she ain’t even trying anymore.

Spark is good, choke tube is in. I need the gauge to check for compression, I’ll be looking into one. My step dad thinks I need new carbs, these ones have been through the ringer, if I was going to upgrade what would y’all suggest?

Compression was about 110 or so which I think is low for a new top end rebuild. We did a big bore kit on it 2 years ago but it was only road a handful of times, it’s been sitting a lot. Took it out on rides to break it in, then took it to a parade one night back in December of 2021 and that was the last time it started until last Friday. Put the carbs back on now one of the bowls leaks and still won’t start, even sprayed a little starter fluid in the carb and still nothing. It sounded like it was trying to a few times but no luck. Any ideas?

Also when I had the carbs out today I pulled the reeds out to inspect them and they looked fine but seeing others on the internet, mine don’t have the metal fins like everyone else’s, is that a problem? Had a friend mess with these and idk if that’s causing any of my problems. Also not vforce 4s b5f70a81f7da849a50f5a7ad45794989.jpg

New update:
Got her to idle decently, still a little low from what I can tell but I took her out in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear and she gets up pretty fast but it seems to be lacking power when hitting powerband and almost seems to hit a rev limiter when getting to full throttle, isn’t bogging but lost its power in higher rpm’s, what could this be?