Axle nut stuck on stud

pk31337

I've now got 3 tires with lug nuts I can't take off. All 3 have the same problem. The nut spins, but won't come off and the stud isn't spinning with the nut. Even if I pull it with plyers, I can't seem to get any traction with the existing threads. So, enough threads to keep the dam thing on, but not enough for the nut to grab? 

Anyone have ideas or recommendations on how to take it off? I was looking at a nut buster, but it looks like it might be too big to fit in the wheel well? I was thinking about using a Dremel, but I really don't want to risk messing up my rims.

Yoooo..now im here trying to suggest things..hahaha sounds like pretty much ur studs are junk even if u get them off, possibly too much rust or whatever...but in my case i would accept my studs and nuts are goners...i would try tightening nuts if grabs thread so they can break off or if theres no thread to grip to weld nut to stud and make sure u protect ur wheel just in case u knick ur wheel while tacking it....and same procedure try tightening to break off stud and continue to replacing studs if available or whole hub.......just an idea??

8 hours ago, Eric03k said:

Yoooo..now im here trying to suggest things..hahaha sounds like pretty much ur studs are junk even if u get them off, possibly too much rust or whatever...but in my case i would accept my studs and nuts are goners...i would try tightening nuts if grabs thread so they can break off or if theres no thread to grip to weld nut to stud and make sure u protect ur wheel just in case u knick ur wheel while tacking it....and same procedure try tightening to break off stud and continue to replacing studs if available or whole hub.......just an idea??

haha, thanks! I already got new hubs all around and replaced the rears. I'll try tightening before I go the cutting route. If I have to cut..

5 hours ago, locogato11283 said:

You're probably going to have to cut them off. Then buy new hubs.

Yall think a Dremel would do the trick? 

So the rusted studs were the softest metal. I was worried for nothing. I just used a breaker bar and pulled sideways to pull the nut into the threads and was able to finally get it off. No damage to rims. Nada

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk