Seeking some pointers to teach my son

Metal_man_Rob

My 10yo son is into his first year of flat track racing an LT80. His quad is faster than most of the others out there and soon to be faster with the CT pipe and jack moore build I have coming. But he is getting squirrely right around the middle of each turn. I see the same issue with the larger quads with much more seasoned riders.

He is able to get loose into the turn but right around the middle to 2/3rds into it he looses the drift and it kicks back in on him. He loses a lot of momentum there. And I see it happen with a lot of people but others seem to have overcome that issue.

I don't really know how to work on that with him because I'm not out there doing it. What causes it and what should I have him work on more?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 6:43 AM, Metal_man_Rob said:

My 10yo son is into his first year of flat track racing an LT80. His quad is faster than most of the others out there and soon to be faster with the CT pipe and jack moore build I have coming. But he is getting squirrely right around the middle of each turn. I see the same issue with the larger quads with much more seasoned riders.

He is able to get loose into the turn but right around the middle to 2/3rds into it he looses the drift and it kicks back in on him. He loses a lot of momentum there. And I see it happen with a lot of people but others seem to have overcome that issue.

I don't really know how to work on that with him because I'm not out there doing it. What causes it and what should I have him work on more?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 strokes can be a little touchy under load.    the new build may actually fix that and have the power to keep the bike "loose" through the whole turn.     sometimes a gearing change can help  if your too high up in gear and the tires are loose  hitting traction puts a too big load on the motor and slows it down just enough to prevent it from keeping loose. 

he can also practice slipping the clutch  you usually typically can feel and hear when the bike is loosing that "power" and RPM range to keep loose.  

i had to do it quite frequently ice racing on a banshee.  and would usually always keep a finger on my clutch in a turn and just put enough pressure when needed to get the RPMS back up quickly.     

Just note slipping the clutch can be tricky  while you do increase the rpms you are  technically putting less power down to the ground which can also cause loss of momentum on a hard turn.  

When possible taking wider turns at higher speeds  also seemed to better suite my bike and allowed me to maintain a better pace and rpm range / gear.  depends on rider and bike of course though.    

by no means am I a seasoned racer and been out of the game for quite some time but I've definitely had that happen to me and while I didn't perfect it I did work on some solutions and the ones mentioned seemed to work the best for me. 

• Like 1