Whats the first thing you do when acquiring a banshee..

Hello all, I'm new to the forums so figured this would be a good place to start.

I recently acquired a 1994 banshee on a trade, in exchange for some collision work and a paint job. The machine is in damn good condition, from the looks of it i would say its very very close to being original outside of maybe a handful of bolts and a KN air filter. Im new to the banshee scene, have always wanted one so this trade worked out beautifully. With that being said lets talk about the first things you would all do when acquiring a machine of "unknown origin"

Truth be told, it does take a few kicks to get the bike to fire, and it does NOT like the cold weather here in the Northeast, but when it does finally fire up and warm up it seems to run great shift smooth and put a huge smile on my face when it hits powerband.

This weeks task is a full fluids change, some fresh gas as well as a good carb cleaning (carb without the choke seems to leak out of the overflow a good amount at times so im assuming the float is stuck or hopefully something simple like that) Parts on order are new jets just in case because im not sure what's in there now and rear brake pads because these ones are absolutely cooked. I plan to ride this machine casually, and enjoy it the way it is meant to be enjoyed so im ready to handle any and all maintenance items it needs before spring gets here.

So my question remains.... what's the first thing you would do with it?

Verify jetting for area you ride.
Leak down test while carbs are off.
Comp test

Ensure proper spark plugs are installed.
Ensure brakes work and all wheel/hub/sprocket and brake bolts/nuts are tight.
Make sure chain and sprockets are not extremely worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a case saver on it.

The sky’s the minor with these machines. A huge upgrade would be new a arms and suspension up front. If you want more power the stock cylinders and carbs are just fine and will produce 75 hp with pipes and porting.

Here’s where we stand, carbs were filthy… they got a good cleaning, OEM jets installed, (the pilots were two sizes bigger for some reason) Fresh gas mixture, fresh oil and coolant which it DESPERATELY needed they were disgusting, adjusted the chain, clutch, and throttle cables, also threw new spark plugs on…

Took about 5 or so good kicks cold with the choke out and shee fired up in the 20 degree weather, once it got warmed up it Idled great, ran great, however I felt a small hesitation at low RPMs if I was being super easy on it before it would really take off. Other then that I think I should still do a compression check just for peace of mind and I’m sure everyone here will agree

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...