Stumped Big Time

90 Banshee

Havent needed ya'lls help in 4 years, gotten pretty good with jetting an rebuilding her an stuff but I'm mind boggled an spent a bunch of money only to get no-where. 

So I got this wierd issue, she runs an starts fine but soon as you kill it she fouls a plug it seems like. Put new plugs in her she fires right up an then when u kill it an instantly try to kick it again she's dead. New plugs, shes good again until dead....

Shes got good compression, just put her back to standard. Tested stator ohms are almost all in spec. New stator not oem but it reads ignition 22.5, pickup 112.5, lighting 038..ignition is alittle high.  New brain not oem, new coils not oem, only thing I havent replaced is the flywheel but it seems tight an dont hear anything loose when shake it. Timing plate back to 0 right now until figure out the problem, I've tried 2,3,4, didnt solve didnt problem.  Jetting is pilot 27.5 with 300 jets cause that's where it should be to me..went all the 360, 10 at a time trying to maybe lean it out. Thinking maybe it was to rich fouling plugs. Running klotz 40:1 at the moment.  

Can add more details if need but honestly I think it's a electrical problem that I cant cure. Eye is in spec. Just got Kevin's wiring harness with no tors/no park brake didnt help any but it is a nice harness. Another thing I may note is that when you kick it over with the spark plug out you dont see any spark, even with fresh plugs. But screw them in an fires instantly until kill motor...so mind boggled..aggravated.. I've read everything on here an search but seen noone with this wierd problem.. Thanks to anyone that respond's or is able to help me. 

Probably gonna be chasing your tail with non oem electronics & Chinese cylinders but... instead of pulling and changing the plugs just pull the wires Off and put them Back on & try & start with out changing plug.

Edit:

Try killing it by stalling it & then see if it'll restart

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Was the same issue before rebuild. Didnt even need rebuilt, just did it because I thought it was the problem. Yes. I've tried stalling it an restarting, Tried bypassing key just to try it..always the same. Kill it, wont start until new plugs..its crazy. Ran this issue across many local ppl an tried almost everything. 

Is it possible for the flywheel to be bad even if it dont rattle? Can a Chinese brain an coil foul plugs? I'm not the smartest but its crazy...cant say for sure plugs are fouled but unusable after dies...new plugs it fires up...Its riding season an missing rides over something dumb..

I've been giving this some thought. Crazy problem you have here. Only thing that kills a plug is gas fouling, an old car trick was to just set the plug wires on the dist cap to make an air gap for the spark to jump, supposedly increasing it. So possibly you have weak spark and it simply won't fire a used (wet) plug. No one here likes anything electrical except OEM for the most part. I'd swap out parts individually with a friend if possible. Ohm test the plug caps (they have a built in resistor) Someone in recent memory had a new one that was bad.

First thing, when jetting, the bigger the number on the jet the MORE fuel it passes, so bigger number equals RICHER. Second thing, put some OEM electrics back on. I have tried aftermarket stators and CDI units and they cause more problems than they solve. Had a stator that failed in three rides and a CDI that did not last a month. You are better off buying used OEM than buying new aftermarket.

List all the things you think are possibly the problem.

Literally

#3 etc

Go about isolating EACH thing ONLY, make a change/swap the part. see if it changes... make notes on your list. It might be 1 thing, it could be 3 grouping together to get it all jacked up....

Start with the gapped idea Hopped up said previously.

sounds like weak spark. check the gap between flywheel and pickup. I think it needs to be around .015-.018 thou. after it dies remove the plug and leave it plugged up resting on the head kick it over and see if theres a spark. if your not getting a hot blue spark then your ignition is weak. I worked on a bike once that had similar symptoms and turned out to be the float in the carb was stuck open with the vent blocked letting boat loads of raw fuel going through the intake. like the others said oem for your electronics. once its running how does it perform?