Can a hone be the cause of lower compression after top end rebuild?

Mighty Shee

Found the issue to the loss of compression.

Went back to the shop with my old pistons and my quad. After scratching their heads over this they finally Figured out the old pistons in my Banshee (Wossner) were taller measured from the piston pin to the crown vs The Pro-X BLASTER pistons they sold me. Why the hell did CT Racing did not tell me this from the get go? Had I known this from the get go I would have insisted on Wossner pistons or Wiseco pistons. They instead sold me what they could get their hands on the quickest. To gain compression they had to mill the head even more. Now I’m at 155 psi, not the 165 I used to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if you go back to wossner you will have to use thicker gasket, otherwise your pistons will smash the head?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

So if you go back to wossner you will have to use thicker gasket, otherwise your pistons will smash the head?

Yes, or I would need to buy a cool head and new domes for the cool head

• Like 1

Yes, or I would need to buy a cool head and new domes for the cool head 

If it ran fine before, you need to put same head, base & piston (type) back in. Or your timing will be off ( using wrong piston and or domes to fix) Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 375hp banshees said:

If it ran fine before, you need to put same head, base & piston (type) back in. Or your timing will be off ( using wrong piston and or domes to fix) Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

CT knows that, they prolly gunna try and sell him the port job to go with it lol 

• Like 1

If my timing is off now because of the Pro-X Blaster pistons and I start it will it just run like crap or will it Granada?

If my timing is off now because of the Pro-X Blaster pistons and I start it will it just run like crap or will it Granade?

14 minutes ago, Mighty Shee said:

If my timing is off now because of the Pro-X Blaster pistons and I start it will it just run like crap or will it Granade?

As long as it turns over fine it won’t grenade. Most likely have shitty power though 

3 minutes ago, Mighty Shee said:

Thanks. This sucks.

So they milled the head to accommodate for these pistons which gives you poor port timing? 

If these guys didn’t catch that, then I think I’d be finding a different builder. 

• Like 1

So they milled the head to accommodate for these pistons which gives you poor port timing? 

If these guys didn’t catch that, then I think I’d be finding a different builder. 
Milling head won't affect port timing, thicker or thinner base gasket will affect port timing and compression.

This is exactly what they did. When I went back to have them help me figure out why I had lost so much compression the owner was not very interested in helping. As if I was wasting his time. I’ve dealt with him before and that’s the type of personality he has. He already had my money so at this point he didn’t care much to help. Moving forward I’m going to Kevin at Herr Jugs. I’ve dealt with Kevin and it’s been a pleasant experience every time.

• Like 2