Kickstarter locked up

So yesterday I was riding, not too hard or anything and the banshee died. No weird noises or anything, it just bogged down when I got into some sand. I kicked it a few times to start it back up and then it locked. I got it back home and drained the oil then took off the right side case to check if anything was stuck in there. Everything looked fine from what I could tell so I just sprayed some WD-40 on the gears and they started being able to turn. I put the case back on to test and then it locked up again after it was able to turn one time. What could this be?

So yesterday I was riding, not too hard or anything and the banshee died. No weird noises or anything, it just bogged down when I got into some sand. I kicked it a few times to start it back up and then it locked. I got it back home and drained the oil then took off the right side case to check if anything was stuck in there. Everything looked fine from what I could tell so I just sprayed some WD-40 on the gears and they started being able to turn. I put the case back on to test and then it locked up again after it was able to turn one time. What could this be?

If everything else seems to check out pull off your cylinders and check it out.

Yeah, took of the head and a piston was locked in place. Let it sit with oil for a few days then put everything back and it’s good now. After that, it’s started just fine and I let it run for a little after changing the coolant and oil. Now when I try to kick it over it makes a noise like air pressure when it seems like it’s going to start and it doesn’t start. Forgive my ignorance, I’m a rookie at this stuff but trying to learn about engines and all. It would probably have to do with the gasket, right? Because I didn’t change it after placing the head back on. Have to wait for the new one to come in.

sure, you can run it after you un sieze it with oil, but it’s no longer going to be reliable. The cylinder could be messed up, the piston could be scored up, the rings could be bent and junk, there is a bunch of things that could be wrong after it locks up. Just rebuild the top end with good parts and new gaskets if you want it to be right and run right. But if you’re going to keep it like this then do a compression test in both cylinders for us and report back, then we will have a better idea what the problem is.

Chances of the motor being seized up twice and freed with oil are slim. It could happen but that thing must have ran like crap. Unless it wasn’t seized and something Jammed up the idler gear and Kickstarter.
Either way I’m sure ther is a million hours in that engine and it could use some love.

2 hours ago, kawa110 said:

Chances of the motor being seized up twice and freed with oil are slim. It could happen but that thing must have ran like crap. Unless it wasn’t seized and something Jammed up the idler gear and Kickstarter.
Either way I’m sure ther is a million hours in that engine and it could use some love.

ditto this.  once you truly seize, you done.  There is something going on, on the left side of the motor.  check your compression. that will let you know how sad your top end is.  Use a good quality compression tester with a threaded part the same depth as the spark plug.  take both plugs out,  hold throttle wide open then kick the crap out of it 30 times and see what it reads. 

Edited by Ayesully810