Head collant flow.

5 minutes ago, ginger said:

i only have it on a chevy small block and big block v8,  but it is basically blocking the top hose, and bypassing from the top of the water pump into the engine side of the top hose.  this is the closed loop that the motor circulates the water and doesnt let any flow through the rad until the thermostat opens,  at that point the rad water is cool.  i have seen as much as a 90 degree split, where the motor water is 180 and the rad is at 90, and it started at 100 for both.  because the fan is pulling the air through the rad, it cools the rad water down, while the motor builds heat.  and once the motor is up to the t stat temp, it cracks open and lets some of that cold water in,  just enough to maintain the water, then closes and starts to super cool the water in the rad again.  

Like i said it needs to be in a system that is made for it, and not a typical dead head t stat like most banshee or 2 strokes would have.  

This bypass is to put warm coolant back into the engine to warm it up. It isn't there to cool the coolant in the radiator. That is the reason for a t-stat, to increase engine temps.

And the t-stat cracks open to let some of the hot coolant out.

For your numbers, if both engine and rad is 100F, the engine wasn't running. This would be ambient temps. There is zero way for engine to get to 180 and radiator actual get lower than ambient. 

40 minutes ago, ZillaFreak said:

This bypass is to put warm coolant back into the engine to warm it up. It isn't there to cool the coolant in the radiator. That is the reason for a t-stat, to increase engine temps.

And the t-stat cracks open to let some of the hot coolant out.

For your numbers, if both engine and rad is 100F, the engine wasn't running. This would be ambient temps. There is zero way for engine to get to 180 and radiator actual get lower than ambient. 

pre heater in the rad and block.  

and yes the rad will get lower because it is pulling say 70 degree air through it, while the water isnt being circulated in the rad.  

29 minutes ago, ginger said:

pre heater in the rad and block.  

and yes the rad will get lower because it is pulling say 70 degree air through it, while the water isnt being circulated in the rad.  

your numbers are useless and false.

you are running a heater that heats the coolant. Reason the numbers drop isn't because of the t-stat but because the heater turned off. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ZillaFreak said:

your numbers are useless and false.

you are running a heater that heats the coolant. Reason the numbers drop isn't because of the t-stat but because the heater turned off. 

they numbers do matter.  if i didnt run the t stat, the temp would stay at 100 everywhere and slowly build to the 180 everywhere. 

What do i know, i only am friends with one of the largest racing radiator guys in the north east. 

1 minute ago, ginger said:

they numbers do matter.  if i didnt run the t stat, the temp would stay at 100 everywhere and slowly build to the 180 everywhere. 

What do i know, i only am friends with one of the largest racing radiator guys in the north east. 

You don't know much if you think coolant would increase to 180 in both the radiator and head. If this was true, a radiator would be pointless. Just because you are friend with something doesn't mean you know anything

1 minute ago, ginger said:

if it is circulating in the head and the rad with no thermostat then the water temp leaving the head is the same as what is entering the rad.  

care to explain how a thermostat between head and radiator allows water to cool before enter the radiator? I will let you in, it doesn't. 

Again, a thermostat holds cold coolant in till it reaches a hotter temp and releases it. It does not hold coolant in till it gets colder somewhere else. 

Yes I did read your post hence my question. You made a claim the without a thermostat, coolant leaving the head will be the same as it enters a radiator. This is a "No shit sherlock" moment. You have been making claims that no t-stat would make coolant 180 everywhere. My question was very simple, how does a thermostat lower coolant temps before entering the radiator?

I am not sure you have a clue what you are talking about. 

you are misunderstanding. 

With a t stat, what i am saying is no coolant is flowing to the rad.  so the motor will increase in temp, up to the 180 the t stat is set at.  and while that is happening the water in the rad is being cooled more then it would be if there was no t stat.  so you will see a temp drop in the rad if you are say at 100 degrees, while you will see an increase in the motor temp.  once that t stat opens up it will just let enough of the cool water mix in to regulate the 180 degrees while restricting the flow of what is in the rad, letting the water in the rad cool more then if it didnt have the t stat.  hence increasing cooling abilities because it has cooler water to mix in. 

But it does not increasing cooling abilities. A thermostat only increases heat. Because as soon as cooler coolant goes in, the thermostat closes to hold it in till it gets hot again. 

A thermostat's only ability and job is to make an engine run hotter, not colder. If a thermostat could increase the cooling abilities of the system, if you car was starting to over, it would close to allow coolant to cool more in the radiator. Oh wait, it can't do this. 

If you want to actually increase cooling abilities of your coolant system, you have to run a bigger radiator.