Weird noise coming from case, a lot of white smoke! Help

Hey guys. Here’s what happened. 

Driving home a while back, 6th gear pegged for about 30 seconds, then wheels lock up and I come to a skidding halt. 

Tore it down, and nothing was moving, pistons, crank, kick starter, nothing. 

Oiled the cylinders, played with the crank and eventually everything was rotating as it should, in neutral. Once in gear, no movement again. Got the wheels to rotate in gear eventually, compression good, all seems well. So the whole quad seemed ok aside from some internal scarring maybe that I couldn’t see. I never went deeper than removing the head aside from the case covers and external stuff. 

Put it all back together, flushed the case three times with oil, and nothing came out. Clean oil, no metal. I said “this thing is ready to run”! 

Put it all back together with new gaskets and seals for the head(pro-design). 

I fired it up, and instantly knew something was off. It has a very scary sound coming from the case. It sounds as if it’s rotating with no oil. Just like a hollow metal whirling sound. A lot of white smoke coming from the right pipe and none from the left.(crank seal?).  Kick starter actually binded up once during the startup but not again, but it’s never done that before either. I was pissed after all those hours of wrench time so I said hell with it and took it for a spin. 

She still pulls hard, just as hard as before. Seems to run tip top, pops into neutral good, hits gears good. But that sound is still there and so is the smoke. I’ve parked it until I figure this out. It’s a fully custom banshee from the frame up and I don’t want to blow it up. I won’t get lucky twice lol 

I assume it’s a stock crank, I built the engine from the jugs up. Never had the cases apart, I bought a complete bottom end. I’m leaning towards a crank seal or something in that area. 

Long post, I know. What do you guys think? 

25 minutes ago, pingping said:

Hey guys. Here’s what happened. 

Driving home a while back, 6th gear pegged for about 30 seconds, then wheels lock up and I come to a skidding halt. 

Tore it down, and nothing was moving, pistons, crank, kick starter, nothing. 

Oiled the cylinders, played with the crank and eventually everything was rotating as it should, in neutral. Once in gear, no movement again. Got the wheels to rotate in gear eventually, compression good, all seems well. So the whole quad seemed ok aside from some internal scarring maybe that I couldn’t see. I never went deeper than removing the head aside from the case covers and external stuff. 

Put it all back together, flushed the case three times with oil, and nothing came out. Clean oil, no metal. I said “this thing is ready to run”! 

Put it all back together with new gaskets and seals for the head(pro-design). 

I fired it up, and instantly knew something was off. It has a very scary sound coming from the case. It sounds as if it’s rotating with no oil. Just like a hollow metal whirling sound. A lot of white smoke coming from the right pipe and none from the left.(crank seal?).  Kick starter actually binded up once during the startup but not again, but it’s never done that before either. I was pissed after all those hours of wrench time so I said hell with it and took it for a spin. 

She still pulls hard, just as hard as before. Seems to run tip top, pops into neutral good, hits gears good. But that sound is still there and so is the smoke. I’ve parked it until I figure this out. It’s a fully custom banshee from the frame up and I don’t want to blow it up. I won’t get lucky twice lol 

I assume it’s a stock crank, I built the engine from the jugs up. Never had the cases apart, I bought a complete bottom end. I’m leaning towards a crank seal or something in that area. 

Long post, I know. What do you guys think? 

Crank bearing or rod bearings maybe. If it’s blowing white smoke that’s means it’s burning the gear oil. I bet it’s smoked crank bearings.

6 minutes ago, Banshee802 said:

Crank bearing or rod bearings maybe. If it’s blowing white smoke that’s means it’s burning the gear oil. I bet it’s smoked crank bearings.

That would surely make the noise im hearing. Never messed with cranks much on these. Just top ends and add ons. This is a “splitting of the case” job I’m assuming? Ive split cases before just never dealt with a crank 

It could also be the bushing inside the clutch basket where it mates to the trans shaft.  Or any one of the gears that spin free on the trans shafts.  I would definitely split the cases and go through the whole engine.  Take the gears off the transmission shafts and check the tolerances and look for heat markings on the shafts.  

Burning white smoke would hint at a damaged PTO side crank seal.  Pull the clutch cover and remove the clutch basket and check everything in there.