Looking for some friendly advice

Soooo, I’m building my first banshee engine. I’m gonna keep it pretty simple (lol) 

this is what I have-4 mil stroker crank

-115 rods/795 weisco

-mod quad head

-advance timing plate

-v-force reeds

-pro circuit platinum           pipes

-trinity racing silencers

what I am curious of.....

- what is going to be the best stroker dome to run? 

-what would be best carb size?

-roughly where might I set the timing plate?

.....and any other (friendly) opinions are very welcome! Thanks so much for any input!  I am roughly 700ft altitude. 

Shit I new I’d forget something important (haha) it is ported but I have 0 idea what kind of port job it is. It was ported for stock stroke. Is that going to cause me a mess because it was already ported for stock? (Read that on a page here somewhere) thanks

Edited by Banshee rookie78
Forgot some important details

3 minutes ago, Banshee rookie78 said:

Soooo, I’m building my first banshee engine. I’m gonna keep it pretty simple (lol) 

this is what I have-4 mil stroker crank

-115 rods/795 weisco

-mod quad head

-advance timing plate

-v-force reeds

-pro circuit platinum           pipes

-trinity racing silencers

what I am curious of.....

- what is going to be the best stroker dome to run? 

-what would be best carb size?

-roughly where might I set the timing plate?

.....and any other (friendly) opinions are very welcome! Thanks so much for any input!  I am roughly 700ft altitude. 

Dome size will correlate to how much compression you will have which will then correlate to the type of fuel you will be using. I am in no way an expert and some of the true vets will be able to explain benefits of higher compression. The type of cylinders you are using and port work might help some of the more seasoned guys guide you for dome choices. I like my PWK 35’s. Good all around carbs. Some people like smaller carbs for snappier throttle response. I can’t speak on behalf of smaller than 35’s because Iv never used them. Not sure how much your pipes will limit top end power so maybe smaller carbs will work fine for your application. Usually +4 timing is what people are running. Hopefully one of the guys who really know their stuff chimes in, as I know I am a little vague. I am one of those guys who bought a banshee with a few tasteful upgrades already installed so I don’t have a ton of experience with other carbs etc. I’d say it’s best to state what direction you are going with your cylinders for the best advice.

Depending on how far they have been ported they may not work real well with a 4mm. It will have a real peaky top nd and light switch power. Also slide the modquad head over the cylinder and flip it upside down and take a look. Alot of them the outer prong sticks out side the cyl in the back inside corner causing sealing issues.

JMO but i would never wanna run a set of mystery cylinders.  But thats just me.  Most ppl you talk to you will tell you its not going to run right being ported for a stock stroke setup.  If sleeper06 chimes in hes the OG heed his advice.  Driveline performance will help with your dome setup and answer any questions  2487933535   <---- their digits

Thank you everyone so far for your input. I bought the bike from a guy that didn’t know much about it, there for no clue on what type of porting is done. It is at rjs Motorsport in Barrie so hope he will be able to give me some answers. I only trail ride this quad. This all started from a leaky crank seal and then I just started buying parts. Lmao again thank you everyone for your advise and input. Very much appreciated! 

if you are trail riding, i would say pwk28's for carbs. your pipes should be decent for trail riding as well. 

I would have someone put a fresh hone, and port job on the bike. that way its setup for the longer stroke,  normally whoever is doing that can also make your domes, and just set compression for which fuel you plan on running. 

You need to get the cylinders ported for a +4 stroke, most likely the previous port work will not be a problem as long as the porting was fairly mild.  When your ready to put the motor together, you'll want to put the cylinders on and measure the deck height, the amount that the pistons stick above the top of the cylinder, then call someone like Noss heads and they can cut some stroker domes for you.  Typically, a shop wont want to cut stroker domes for you unless they know the deck height because different thickness cylinder base gaskets will change that measurement.  You wont find stroker domes off the shelf.

Get the cylinders "tuned up" by a sponsoring builder, buy the domes from them as well..... or better yet buy some Driveline 421 LP cylinders and domes. He is getting a bunch back from plating on April 7th..... and run some 28-35mm carbs and SLP pipes.... looking at up to 80 hp? Right Tony?

Sometimes its worthwhile getting a fresh start.... (been there done that and would of probably saved me a bit of coin in the long haul)

You need to verify what the porting on those cylinders are for (drag, trail ect)  getting the port timings would be able to give us a general idea of what they were ported for to some extent.

Now ontop of that being said, I wouldn't waste money shipping those cylinders to a builder in the US to see if they can be massaged or "tuned"  Shipping is expensive enough for us and your still risking a call back saying "nothing I can do" as porting was done too far.  Again this is something that could be somewhat figured out by knowing the current port timings.

If your gun ho on going 4mil and the current cyls are for sure for a stock stroke, sell the current cylinders and get a virgin set or better yet as Toybreaker said go get a full Driveline set up.

Going new with a full set up from a specific builder your going to save yourself A LOT of headaches and guessing compared to figuring out whats going to work with your current mystery motor set up..... again from experience I heavily recommend going this route.

Edited by ride.race.live

On Wednesday, April 04, 2018 at 8:12 AM, Toybreaker said:

Get the cylinders "tuned up" by a sponsoring builder, buy the domes from them as well..... or better yet buy some Driveline 421 LP cylinders and domes. He is getting a bunch back from plating on April 7th..... and run some 28-35mm carbs and SLP pipes.... looking at up to 80 hp? Right Tony?

Yes. I was very happy with my 421 setup.  Only reason I changed mine up is because I ran it too lean and had a boo boo on one side.  So I said ok time for a 7 mil. I was gunna change to shearers anyways because I had so much low end and wanted some more rpms.