• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see.. well ya still got it figured out. I' about 95% sure it' the cranks seals leaking so bad it can't open reeds for gas, like you said why it runs for 5 secs unless at wot, even at wot it will bog down due to lack of gas, or what ever is happening to make it burn the tranny fluid 

40 minutes ago, Damann said:

Show where to male or buy one for $30

for exhaust plugs use 1-1/4" rubber expansion plugs 2x$5= $10.00

for intake plug use 1" sched40 pipe plug  2x$1.00 = $2.00

0-15 psi pressure guage  $8

Tire stem  $0.25

Jb weld to seal pressure guage $5

Total: $25.25

I'm willing to bet your right side seal is bad if not both of them. Tare it down and replace all seals and gaskets that way you know it's all good. Make sure you buy a good crank case sealant. Idk what everyone else uses buy i like polaris crank case sealant (I get it free at work) and it's good shit

5 minutes ago, Keno said:

for exhaust plugs use 1-1/4" rubber expansion plugs 2x$5= $10.00

for intake plug use 1" sched40 pipe plug  2x$1.00 = $2.00

0-15 psi pressure guage  $8

Tire stem  $0.25

Jb weld to seal pressure guage $5

Total: $25.25

4 minutes ago, hotrod9193 said:

I'm willing to bet your right side seal is bad if not both of them. Tare it down and replace all seals and gaskets that way you know it's all good. Make sure you buy a good crank case sealant. Idk what everyone else uses buy i like polaris crank case sealant (I get it free at work) and it's good shit

^^^All That^^^

• Like 1

Sounds like you are confusing a leak down test from an automotive 4 stroke engine standpoint.. Leak down testing a 2 stroke identifies leaks that will pull in extra air and cause a lean condition. Doing a leakdown test on your engine will PROVE if/where air is leaking and actually identify or rule out the root cause of your issue. You could have a huge air leak and still have solid compression numbers yet still be affected by running issues from the air leak. 

you mentioned cheap top end, what exactly does that entail? is it an ebay kit? a used set of cylinders/ pistons bought off facebook? you should expand on that so we can help you out. 

As stated multiple times throughout the thread, definitely start with a leak down test so you can figure out which direction to go next. Much easier to spend $25 now and confirm that you do or dont have a leak before tearing it all apart and guessing, and then having the same issue and posting back here asking what to do next. help us help you. 

No I was unaware that the back pressure opened reeds. I assume I'm not getting the fuel from the bottom end leak. Seems like the crank seals are bad. cheap top end kit.. Yes ebay $114. I'm a perfectionist with my hands and making building skills, so when I disassembled bike I planned on a basic top end kit flip bike. Now 27hrs into it, I'm keeping the fn thing.. plus full tare down and rebuild coming up.

3 minutes ago, Damann said:

No I was unaware that the back pressure opened reeds. I assume I'm not getting the fuel from the bottom end leak. Seems like the crank seals are bad. cheap top end kit.. Yes ebay $114. I'm a perfectionist with my hands and making building skills, so when I disassembled bike I planned on a basic top end kit flip bike. Now 27hrs into it, I'm keeping the fn thing.. plus full tare down and rebuild coming up.

your ebay kit definitely raises questions too but id start with a leak down test so you know which direction to go next. I have a set of stock reeds/ cages in good shape id ship ya if you want to rule those out. PM me if interested.  

And everyone else, I think we got it figured out.. Like what hotrod said, crank seal leaked, he ran the piss out of it, burnt it up, sold it to me as an 89 j arm with red line blah blah j arms, all new bushing and bearings, rad and hoses, stock pipes, moose airfilter, needs top end.. he wanted $800, I gave $650 and 2 cigs, made him throw in set of rear bald wheels n tires