2005 Banshee MX Project

Mackington

Got the new raptor style rear plastics on along with new front fender & radiator cover. :) 

Had clearance issues with the new 5.6 Gallon IMS tank & my 1 1/8" Pro Taper handlebars.

Ordered some 30mm risers off of amazon for 7/8" handlebars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNBPC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping those will fix the clearance issue! Always preferred higher bars anyway. The Pro Taper universal mounting kit I have mounts up to a 7/8" on one side then 1 1/8" on top.

Better pics to come once I get IMS Tank, Risers, A-arms & Axle on!

fenders.jpg

Edited by Mackington

18 minutes ago, Mackington said:

Got the new raptor style rear plastics on along with new front fender & radiator cover. :) 

Had clearance issues with the new 5.6 Gallon IMS tank & my 1 1/8" Pro Taper handlebars.

Ordered some 30mm risers off of amazon for 7/8" handlebars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNBPC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping those will fix the clearance issue! Always preferred higher bars anyway. The Pro Taper universal mounting kit I have mounts up to a 7/8" on one side then 1 1/8" on top.

Better pics to come once I get IMS Tank, Risers, A-arms & Axle on!

fenders.jpg

Ended up canceling that amazon order and got these 2" Rox ones instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U815BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm gonna have a field day with this one...

You have these factors:
Extended length
Compressed length
Spring rate(s)
Compression damping
Rebound damping

Each is absolutely critical.

Idk who said it but adjustability is also critical. I cut 6 seconds off my lap time with only suspension adjustments at my home tack.

Yfz shocks will work, stock shocks will work, pogo sticks will work... but there comes a point where you have to define "work."

There is no such thing as "not being able to take advantage of *this* level of suspension." Better suspension will always make everyone faster, safer, and less fatigued IN EVERY CASE.

Any aftermarket shock you find of the correct length range (within less than 1/4" of specified) can be setup. The eyes are interchangeable. Fox does not make a 20.5" shock for a yfz, a 20.5" shock for a trx, a 20.5" shock for an LTR... they make a shock of a specified length and sell them with a bag of inserts and different valving. Any can be used in another application once different eyes are used and the valving and spring rates are set.

If I was to buy your bike, I'd sell everything you bought. None of it is useful for mx.

If I had a banshee with only suspension mods and a stock engine and pipes and a banshee with only a built engine of any amount of hp, I'd use the first one if my family's ability to eat depended on me winning.

T5s are the best at one thing: convincing you they are good pipes. Pro circuits, SLP, PT Mids, or another mx pipe is going to be a far better option.

You want the centerline of the tire as close to the lateral center of the ball joints as possible. More width via rim spacing is flat out dangerous. Even with a 4/1 rim, a stabilizer is often needed to combat what you're going to see on a track.

Nice bumpers, skidplates, bigger tank, lights, etc. = weight.

Boost bottle needs to go to the trash. It serves about as good at making horsepower as I does as an inhaler.

You speak of your long term goal, but what is that exactly?

I wouldn't buy alba anything.

I'd buy SOME from LSR.

Elkas are great ONCE SET UP. They are atrocious out of the box. Buy used and have them built and they will be great shocks.

You also need:
Good nerfs
Gripper seat
Good grips
Tether
Good bars
Hand guards
Good boots
Good tires

I'm sure there's more. That's the absolute basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hercalmighty said:

To add to tfaith's post. I bought+3+1 arms from fireball and had 3/2 rims. It handled like a lack truck. Bought 4/1 rims and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

And just remember, people put deep dish rims on their vehicles all the time. Makes you wonder.

All finished! No more wheel spacers either. The IMS tank I have yet to put on along with the handlebar risers. The 2+1 LSR A-Arms and the 2+2 LSR Axle helped a lot with stability! I also have a steering stabilizer on the way. The YFZ shocks would have been too much hacking away at either the shock or the mounts so I am running the stock shocks for now until I find a deal on better ones.

Appreciate all the info!

22154521_10156587852802646_4891754229968278367_n.jpg