2005 Banshee MX Project

Mackington

Hello!

New to the BansheeHQ forum here. I recently picked up a used 2005 Banshee. My plan is to build an MX Banshee for (somwhat) cheap! Here is what is looks like now:

CURRENT PARTS LIST:

Pro Taper 1 1/8"  Handlebars
Pro Taper 1 1/8" Universal Handlebar mount
Pro Taper Handlebar foam
Parking brake block
Alba Racing Pro Peg Nerf Bars
STI Wheels & MassFX Tires
Alba Racing Front & Rear Wheel spacers (For Now)
K&N Air Filter
MSR OAF Clutch perch and lever
Pro Design Kill switch
Renthal Handlebar Grips
Alba Racing Gas Cap

PARTS ON THE WAY:

Hide-A-Key Key Bracket (Relocates Key under Seat)
Extreme Fabrication Wide Grab Bar
Extreme Fabrication Chassis Skid Plate
Extreme Fabrication Swing Arm Skid Plate
FMF Boost Bottle
YFZ 450 Shocks (Used White ones. 2004's I believe?)
Alba Racing Front Bumper
Lonestar Racing 2+1 A-Arms
Lonestar Racing Axle (+1 to +3 Adjustable)
Lonestar Racing Brake Line Clamps
Lonestar Racing Brake Lines
MZS Clutch / Brake Levers

CURRENT WISH LIST (TO BE ORDERED):

VForce 4 Reed Cages
TORS eliminator kit & idle screw
Aluminum high capacity radiator
Radiator Host kit Blue
Pro Design Billet Cool Head & domes
Billet impeller & bearing & gear
Billet intake manifolds
DID chain
Renthal sprockets

I also need to install that timing plate that got delivered last week still. I plan on setting that to +4.

Working on getting pics up in a decent resolution / size.

Here is the Banshee all stock on day 1:

IMG_1455.JPG.f581a17a2a5106f718b5f990d66fb694.JPG

Let me know what you think! Open to suggestions :)

FFS, yfz450. Really? This is going to be a great MX quad with yfz450 shocks and spacers.

Don't buy the boost bottle, it will just be anther reason your quad doesn't finish the race.

You don't need skid plates for MX. 

Ditch the T5 pipes for something that is more MX friendly such as PT mids.

A steering damper will be helpful, especially with those wheel spacers adding tons of bump steer.

eventually everyone on this forum will belittle you and tell you your doing everything wrong. probably why nobody posts anymore.

If you have fun riding it ride it anything is better then stock I ran my banshee on the track a few times i had a fun time with it. Hell theres a video somewhere of jeremy mcgrath riding a stock banshee on a track. your bike is super clean!

• Like 1

Thanks @sangheraent ! I expected that to some extent since I asked the internet what they thought haha 🙃 Valid point about a dampener though. Been trying to read up as I've never ran one before.

And that's definitely true about McGrath! I've seen a few folks sending stock banshees off of huge stuff  lol 😂  Looking for a cushy setup this time around though as I'm getting back into the scene after 10+ years away from it.

Excited to get these next parts delivered 😀:

Extreme mfng. Wide Grab bar
Extreme mfng Chassis Skid Plate 
Extreme mfng Swing Arm Skid Plate 
Alba Racing Front Bumper 
QuadWorks Gripper Seat Cover
Maier Custom Plastics
IMS 5.6 Gallon Fuel Tank 
Lonestar Axle
ModQuad Axle Nut
Lonestar 2+1 A-Arms
Lonestar sBrake Line Clamps
Lone star Racing brake lines
Shock Covers (for these YFZ450 Shocks. They work but they're ugly lol)

I will post more progress photos next week when these parts roll in! 👍

5 hours ago, sangheraent said:

eventually everyone on this forum will belittle you and tell you your doing everything wrong. probably why nobody posts anymore.

If you have fun riding it ride it anything is better then stock I ran my banshee on the track a few times i had a fun time with it. Hell theres a video somewhere of jeremy mcgrath riding a stock banshee on a track. your bike is super clean!

Funny part, stock suspension is 100x better than yfz450 shocks and wheel spacers. Run shocks that are too long for your a-arms will cause the ball joints to be in extra stress. Running wheel spacers puts everything in extra stress. 

On 9/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, Mackington said:

Alba Racing Front & Rear Wheel spacers (For Now)
Alba Racing Gas Cap

Hide-A-Key Key Bracket (Relocates Key under Seat)
Extreme Fabrication Wide Grab Bar
Extreme Fabrication Chassis Skid Plate
Extreme Fabrication Swing Arm Skid Plate

FMF Boost Bottle
YFZ 450 Shocks (Used White ones. 2004's I believe?)
Alba Racing Front Bumper
MZS Clutch / Brake Levers

MAIER plastics.....

Dont get this the wrong way....  but All those parts you listed  that i left above in the list there arn't needed.

Ok subtract the skids as you trail ride... i get it...

you still have a long list of wasted money on cosmetic stuff you really dont need...when you could be investing in what actually would make a night and day difference

You mention MZS clutch and brake levers when you already have MSR's...

FMF boost bottle is useless - do yourself a favor and just use the stock cross over.

Gas cap?  it don't do anything beside looks... and your in dire need of proper suspension by a long shot

front bumper and rear grab bar.. again cosmetic... your stock stuff is clean... suspension trumps them 1020%

Hide a key?   F the key delete it... you have a tether...just keep the tether with you and no one will be able to start the bike if your worried

Temporary spacers where a complete waste of cash and time.. you would of been  just as good with the standard width as is for the time being until your parts came in.

Aftermarket plastics.....

With all that wasted money... it would of paid for a set of decent PROPER shocks...  or damn close to it.

I'd buy alba arms and proper shocks before buying LSR arms and running YFZ shocks...

You could of also cut expenses at the axle...  LSR axle is about 350... RMATV tusk axle is 200 shipped and offer a lifetime warranty as well. also the tusk comes with a proper locking nut that doesnt come loose after a couple rides like most aftermarket nuts do on aftermarket axles.

Just saying.. suspension goes a long way... and when most guys on here see people pissing away cash in areas not needed and then get replies like "suspension isnt in the budget or too expense"  but then look at the more so useles trailer queen parts they bought that exceed the cost of proper shocks is mind blogging....

Edited by ride.race.live