110 vp fuel bad?

hey guys new to this forum because im in need of some help. for about 4 years now i have always ran 91 octane fuel at 40:1 in my banshee. as far as i know (what the previous owner brefly explained when i purchased the quad) my banshee was bored out to a 405cc and everything to my knowledge was left stock. i have no idea on jetting but the heads, carbs, reeds etc were all left stock. the quad has always been reliable and FAST. recently i wanted to try to get a little bit of edge racing in the sand and tested out the VP 110 racing fuel at 40:1 however by the time i got to competition hill my quad didnt seem like it was making full power. i could usually race up the hill in 4th and now struggle and find myself clutching it in first just to try to stay on the powerband. also i usually start my races out in second gear and the quad launches hard no problem, now i struggles in first. I have an all around power loss and dont know if i fouled something, plugged something, or possibly let the motor go. immedietly thinking it was the fuel, i drained the gas tank and swapped spark plugs out but i never got my power back. anybody know why this is happening or a possible fix? does this have anything to do with not knowing my compression or jetting sizes? wheres a good place to start?

Edited by Crackerman96

You def wanna know your compression and where your timing is at before you start running race fuel.  Just putting in race gas will not make it run better, if you dont have the proper compression and timing, it will run worse. What pipes do you have? I did not see that in your post.  You wanna be at the 170 psi mark on compression with some advanced timing before you start running race fuel.  Start by checking your compression and seeing where you are at.

Edited by Ayesully810

Race gas doesn't properly combust without enough compression or when there is a lack of timing. If the motor is set up to run premium, that's the fuel it should have in it. It is an absolute myth that race gas adds performance in and of it self. All that crap you hear people say about their motor running like a raped ape on the race gas from Sunoco is just nonsense. Think of it this way. Octane is a number designated to a fuel to show its resistance to combust. 91 has a lower resistance to combust then 110. So if you take a motor that is meant to properly burn 91-93 premium, it doesn't squeeze or compress the mixture enough to combust 110 octane race fuel properly. Leaving you with a blubbery half ass burn.

So can race fuel make a motor run better? Only if it's a motor set up to do so.

• Like 2

Race gas doesn't properly combust without enough compression or when there is a lack of timing. If the motor is set up to run premium, that's the fuel it should have in it. It is an absolute myth that race gas adds performance in and of it self. All that crap you hear people say about their motor running like a raped ape on the race gas from Sunoco is just nonsense. Think of it this way. Octane is a number designated to a fuel to show its resistance to combust. 91 has a lower resistance to combust then 110. So if you take a motor that is meant to properly burn 91-93 premium, it doesn't squeeze or compress the mixture enough to combust 110 octane race fuel properly. Leaving you with a blubbery half ass burn.

So can race fuel make a motor run better? Only if it's a motor set up to do so.

That is a very good explanation.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So quick update guys, I've done some tearing down of the motor and found the problem.. turns out this entire time my banshee was bored out to a 353cc with wiseco pistons. So the new updated on the bike is that the pistons are garbage. I melted the domes, smoked the rings and have broken off the lower skirt to one of them. Starting to split the case soon because I have to find the rest of the piston.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ayesully810 said:

3 months to tear it down?? :(

why is it a problem that you have wisecos? That wouldn't explain the issue on why your motor imploded.

Bought a dirtbike and hadn't gotten around to the tear down. And wiseco is fine, if anything that's awesome and the abuse those pistons took gave me some serious faith in wiseco pistons. The reason why I say " turns out this entire time I had wiseco 353cc pistons" is because when I purchased the quad, the previous owner informed me that it was bored out to a 405. Which at the time was very believable because my other banshee is stock with pipes and this one was substantionally faster.