Shock Bushings

LukeSandiefer

Alright, so I have some old fox coil over shocks that were long overdue for some new bushings. The old ones are Poly bushings with the steel sleeve that the bolt slides through. I was talking to my uncle that runs our schools Fabrication and Autos program, he's very knowledgable on this kinda stuff.

He says don't buy new ones, we can make some aluminum ones here on our lathes and mills. How would that hold up? Replacing the poly bushing (as pictured) with aluminum seems sketchy. Any thoughts? 

post-51869-0-23943900-1491873333_thumb.jpg

Several shock companies have aluminum bushings. If you are concerned, find out what type of polymer the Fox ones are, and lathe your own out of that instead of aluminum. I would venture to guess the right aluminum would last much longer.

Do you know what kind of aluminum would be best?

I'd use 6061 or 7075 for it. I just made some for my works shocks (or that's the brand they appear to be anyway) out of bearing brass on the lathe. Pressed in and greased they feel a lot better. Drives like a brand new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm lucky, my Uncle/Teacher said I don't have to pay for anything, since we have so much aluminum sitting around.

Thanks, I'm lucky, my Uncle/Teacher said I don't have to pay for anything, since we have so much aluminum sitting around.

Idk how long aluminum will last but you can give it a try. Most of the ones I've seen were teflon type material pressed in. I used bearing brass because I've got about a thousand lbs of it laying beside the lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1