Chest protectors?

pp13bnos

I've been thinking about getting a chest protector for duning.  As I get older, my responsibilities have added up, and my insurance rates continue to climb, and I don't want to put my family in a bad position if something where to happen while riding.  What I want to know is, what do you guys feel is the best balance between protection and restriction?

I've worn quite a few chest protectors over the past 10 years of my life. These days they all seem fairly lite weight, and decent quality. After you wear one for a little bit you won't notice it's there. I'd probably buy something in the 80 dollar range. No need to spend 140.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a fox one that saved me from a few broken ribs when my ball joint snapped in the dunes ---knocked the wind out of me when shee dipped and handlebars went into my chest and I went flying along with bike about 90 feet.  Feels awkward at first but Im used to it now.  Its a dangerous sport but it cant help to try to be more safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave nailed it. I've never seen a chest protector that I'd trust to prevent any major trauma. It will help obviously but it isn't like the benefit of a helmet.

Neck braces are pretty simple: get one with a 2-piece back support. There have been a few broken backs that just so happen to be where the singles sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else read where some believe the neck braces can cause more injury in some crashes? I thought i read something about collar bones cutting arteries?

I've heard this too.

But I'd rather take my chances with a broken collar bone versus a broken neck.

I've never heard of a broken collar bone leading to artery damage, but I suppose that could happen.

I personally know 2 people who have been paralyzed from riding and have heard of several more. I've only heard of a single case where a neck brace resulted in greater damage than what it was meant to prevent.

I'd call that an exception to the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk