First banshee port, pointers or compliments or anything

Hudson1021

i prefer not show any of my banshee stuff but this is a before -after of another engine i did couple years ago. ive tried quit a few combinations of different ideas

689%20005_zpskympvsz4.jpg

IMG_20140613_152916_zpsacpabesw.jpg

That's strikingly similar to ESR's stuff.  Eating away at the intake side of those dividers has shown me very little gains, if any.  Lining the outsides/rears of the boyesens up with the cases and making it a uniform curve can (emphasis: can) show a slight bump in response and make jetting a little easier.  The trick there is to make it easy for the AFM to flow in and not back out.  That's the only time I've ever heard of the intakes on THAT type of intake showing anything significant on a dyno.  There's more gain to getting a boost port design down pat than anything.

As for the banshee, there have been several cases of near-stock intakes making 70hp, and numerous claims on here of near-stock intakes making +80hp (which I can't vouch for), but the hardest running set that I've ever my hands on looked pretty damn close to stock.  In the way of looks and logic, there's much to change and improve upon. but those 2 don't get you anywhere.

All in all, a super-streamlined, to the .0001" intake is going to be negligibly better than one that was given significant thought and executed reasonably well.  Even then, the intake isn't going to make or break a port.  If you could find someone with the CFD capabilities to model and measure everything and run it in as dynamic of a way as any 2-stroke crankcase and cylinder are, you could see some improvements to be made, but that stuff is way above anyone's head that I've ever spoken to.

HOWEVER, to say that the intakes are too restrictive for most porting designs on the basis that reeds offer gains doesn't hold water.

i couldnt comment on esr as i have never seen the work that eddie does or doesnt do. the only thing ive ever seen or bought from him was a inline gauge 5 or so yrs ago but ive heard hes a nice guy. still alittle puzzled that he would make a nice cnc temp block and fit it with a $5 chinese gauge but whatever. for not a hell of alot more money he could of went with good qaulity marshall stuff but oh well

got alot of different pics of cylinders with various port configurations. the one posted was just the first one i happen to grab after bigweave asked about the intake. epoxied transfers, welded cylinders, transfers cut open, heads cut in half, stockers with tripples. got pics of all that shit. most folks could probly care less about that stuff though

that honda engine, although not that particular cylinder, was unbeaten for quit a long while by any other gas 2wheeler at sand mnt ut. still to this day theres only 2 other 2wheelers that ever held a candle to it up the face of the mntain. was numerous vids of it on youtube. far as im concearned theres no better way to see what your machines made of then run it up the face of one of the biggest hills in the country. if you have any bikes out west im at the mantain atleast 2 times every year on big weekends

I had an ESR older style cylinder 350cc stock stroke ported by Eddie himself. The whole setup was all ESR, and it ran phenomenal, the torque was everywhere and with the 41mm pwk carb the top end was equally as fast. I now have his new 430 6mil, again all ESR incidentals right down to his pipe and silencer and it is a rocket, the power is anywhere you want it, crack the throttle and boom it's right on like a switch! ESR does good porting, but there are better builders who port better but my experience with ESR has only been his motors built by him... Just thought I'd add that info..

Edited by Big Mike NY

what you guys think. strikingly similar isnt the first word that comes to my mind

esr1_zpsdanivujp.jpg

IMG_20140613_152916_zpsacpabesw.jpg

Well, it is a cylinder. For a honda. It has a similar bolt pattern for the reed cage. There are boost/auxiliary/boyheson ports. Hell, I'll bet they both take a piston........ Haha

Seriously, I think I see some vast differences in the two. The ESR takes the contour for the auxiliaries all the way up, but IMO it's kind of a really lazy contour. I'd love to throw smoke at it to see what the air does up in the upper corners of the intake. I bet it kinda runs in and does a few cyclones and slows down and sorta limps it's way back down to the auxiliaries.

Normally I'm not in to knife edged shit, but I see how you are working the angle there on your's and that set up works on the Hondas. There is some real velocity being created there with low turbulence.

The one you pulled off of eBay looks nothing like the ESR ported cylinder that I've seen, nor the one on his website (which I'm not sure that it isn't ported for looks to begin with).  I've seen one in person and the Boyesens look very, very similar to yours.  I didn't criticize you as trying to copy him, I said it looked similar.  If you wanna take that as an insult, that's fine with me; that's all the explaination that I'm giving as to what I meant.  Of course, eBay is pretty credible...

There's nothing wrong with a knife edge if you know the exact direction of the flow and tailor the edge to it.  People say that knife edging will slow flow, but most issues assiciated with kinfe edges are going to come with the wrong choice in placement and poor angle selection.  The issues pile in when the knife edge doesn't split the flow in a way that it can easily flow around it.  More often than not, there's more gain to be found elsewhere with the same amount of trial and error. 

Rounging edges is an easier way to get close enough to the potential that an area has, but knife edging will ultimately be more effective if you know EXACTLY where and how to place it.  How much that will help is dependant on how many different directions of flow that area will see and the geometry of the edge and surrounding areas, to inculde the length of the divider.  The 2 extremes of that would be the transfer divider (longer and can take a knife edge without compromising flow after the divider) and the divider between the intake and boyesen (shorter and difficult to knife edge without forcing flow in a particular direction).

If I have one shot at porting a cylinder that I'm unfamiliar with, I'm going to round nearly every edge I come to.  Ultimately, proper duration selection and having a port that flows well and whose areas work well together is going to be what makes or breaks a porting configuration.

UR, I'm not going to turn this into a shit-fest if you aren't. 

if you look at the banshee oem jugs that have boyesens installed some guys angle them downward. some guys just drill a hole straight through. some probly make it more of a rectangle hole and some more of a circle. im thinking there wouldnt be much difference in any of the methods. i think there would be more of a difference between a pencil dick hole and one much larger