Newb from Idaho here, browsing Banshee info

Been building high HP CR500's for years and finally decided I need to investigate this dark corner of sand Powersports known as the Yamaha Banshee, i found a good deal on one and I'm gonna pick it up, she'll be purely built for sand drag racing here at the St. Anthony sand dunes. I'll just be gleaning info about what works and what doesn't work, and how to set a machine up to be fast and reliable. I look forward to the learning curve!

Here's a few pics of my 500's just for giggles

066e110fcc390955ab20dacb6ef02493.jpg

2a5c2cee9542f226c8e79b304d831f89.jpg

My CR500AF conversion

85b869cd86cc1ba9232c95344288bfde.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks fellas! Bought my first 500 at 16 and had it running alky by the time I was 18, scattered the transmission in it and parted it out. The AF has a trail ported and moderately built engine but isnt 100% finished yet, the other one has CPI drag porting, CPI's race pipe, and runs on straight U4.4, she's a pretty mean bike on the sand but those damn banshees always seem to one up me. Hahahaha. I figure its time to get my own!

Edited by 6point6

Am I seeing an auxiliary fuel tank in front at the top of your forks?

I bet that thing is a beast up Choke Cherry.

It is, and it is. Haha

Nice bikes man! The cr500 is my all time favorite bike. Power is just so smooth from start to finish. Id love to take a rip on one that runs good. Post some pics of the bangshee when ya get it.

Of course! If you ever make it up to St. Anthony I'd be happy to let ya take a rip on the ol 5'hundo

Always wanted one and this summer I finally found one that was local! I remember back when I was 16 or so watching some dude on the strip riding 5th gear wheelies mopping up people lol Definitely an all around fun bike! But like you said 6point6, I do too have a need to investigate this dark little corner. In the process of saving up some skrilla now but i've been contemplating for months now whether to build or just buy complete.  

IMG_2676_zpszjusdrty.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the banshee horsepower quest.. I mean headquarters haha. Hope you got some deep pockets. Isn't a cheap sport. The engines now a days are making more power then every with the new pipes Ect that have been coming out! Everything is improving nicely and just a warning once you get " the bug" it's hard to stop!

I've had my eye on the CR500 CPI pipe for a couple weeks! How is the power band and over rev compared to Pro Circuit type pipe? Does it come with silencer?

Mike's race pipe is basically all midrange and top end, it pulls a lot harder for a lot longer than a PC, especially where CPI ported it too. It doesn't come with a silencer, I'm using a PC R304 silencer though

damn cool bikes, welcome fellas

Thank ya!

Welcome to the banshee horsepower quest.. I mean headquarters haha. Hope you got some deep pockets. Isn't a cheap sport. The engines now a days are making more power then every with the new pipes Ect that have been coming out! Everything is improving nicely and just a warning once you get " the bug" it's hard to stop!

I've been deep into 500's for ten years now, I have no pockets left haha Edited by 6point6