Ok so I bought a completely stock 1996 banshee last fall and it ran great into the winter. I did some work to it while it was sitting, fmf fatty gold series pipes with power core II silencers, v-force 4 reeds, and a k&n air filter. I went ahead to replaced my main jets from the stock 200, to the 260 that came with the pipes. (My elevation is around 1000ft above sea level, running temp is 60-90).

I don't think jetting is the problem, but I might be wrong.

Now here's what happens. I need starter fluid to start it. And when it fires, usually first kick, I have to keep on the throttle to keep it running. It will rev low and when I give it a touch more gas it will rev very high for a couple seconds even after I let off the throttle. And when I'm holding a steady throttle position, it seems like I have no control over how high and low the engine revs. Possible air leak? There's not much smoke coming out of the pipes when running. My pipes are hot after only a minute of running. So I switched my pilot jet from stock 25, to 27.5 and my main from a 260, to 310. Still does the same thing. Also I should add that the TORS is still on the carbs and hooked up.....unfortunately.

Any help is appreciated, please hurry, I WANNA RIDE!!!

You are trying he right things and the jetting is close with a 27.5 pilot and 310 main. I think you need to look for an air leak. Use propane for a quick way to find some air leaks. Start the bike and get it doing the funky high idle. Use a plumbers torch with the nozzle turned on (not lit), wave it over the intakes and base gasket areas. Since you did reeds it's totally possible the new stuff just is t sealed up quite right.

• Like 1

Yes the TORS is still active, for now. I experienced some issues with it when i had my blaster, do banshees have the same problems with em? And yes the reeds came with 2 gaskets for each side. I haven't had the chance to try anything just yet. I will post my results in a couple days. What are some ways to check for air leaks? I was planning on spraying starting fluid around the boots and reeds to see if it changes the rpm while it's running. Besides trying to build a air leak tester, that's the best idea I got. But she's my baby so I will try anything.

Thanks again everyone, keep it coming!

Well I didn't try the stator, but I did get a sporadic idle change when I sprayed around the reeds. Before I tried that I made sure the gaskets, reeds, boots and surfaces were clean. And made sure I tightened down the bolts, maybe use a torch wrench to make sure they are evenly tightened? New gaskets that came with the new reeds. Should I buy OEM gaskets?

Good news is, I did see a big difference when i fired her up this time. Would not idle before. This time it Idled for about 5 seconds before it wanted to die, and when I gave it a little gas to keep it running, it revd way higher then it should've. Stayed at a high idle for 2 seconds before it came down, thumb was not on the throttle.

Spray carb cleaner instead it works better take you stator cover off also when you do this see if any crank oil is on the bottom and spray around the stator see if you get sporadic idel

Do not do this. It does not work better. A leakdown tester works better.

If you see "crank oil" on the stator cover you have bigger issues. Also take pics. That'd be a new one for me