Banshee 2 in 1 Trinity manifold 1 cylinder lean 1 rich?

Clownboy

Well it was a long day but i think ive got it tuned. The trinity manifold at one time had the groove in the port side for an oring gasket. Some wise guy took to it with a flap wheel had it all fucked up. not sure why i never paid much attention to that as a major issue. Anyways i so happened to have a large belt sander that has been sitting unused in the corner of my shop for 3 years or better. Cleaned her up put on a new belt and fine sanded the port side of the manifold down roughly a 16th to 8th inch until it was perfectly flat and smooth. I mean it looks better than new really stoked with how well that worked out.

Checked the reeds and they were A1. checked all gaskets best i could for possible leaks. I could not come up with a leak down tool anywhere in town. Going to be ordering one of those real soon. 

The CDI box i turned back the dial to zero and instead pulled the stator cover and advanced the timing plate to +4. 

I put the manifold on and man did she seat real nice and tight. Put the carb in with the DEJ needle middle position on clip, 45/190 2 turns out checked needle and seat and float hieght. 

Got it all put back together and first kicl fired right up. Throttle response is WAY way better almost instant. The bike definatley seemed to be right in there then i noticed coolant dripping SOB turns out the oring had fell out and got pinched in the groove and sheared it in half. So unfortunaley i didnt get to get a good read on it just yet but soon as the auto parts store is open im going out clownin :) 

^^^ I second his suggestions. ^^^

With everything that you have had going on I would Very Strongly Urge you to build yourself a leak down tester and test the motor before you even think of riding.

You've had too many little issues pop up IMO to risk it.

I'm sure you're dying inside to go for a rip on it, but the extra time taken could be very valuable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good points all around fellas. So after approx 40 hours im not much further than where i started. I do believe the leak down test is much needed. I was able to get the exact o-rings i needed for the Cool-head at a local hydraulic shop so i did get the coolant leak squred away. I did get the bike running enough to read the plugs and to my delight they both read rich. I thought it would be safe to do a test rip so i warmed her up good slowly and adjusted the carb some while putting around. I could not seem to nail it on the low end and im thinking thats a result of the pipes im running Vito's FB they just are too much pipe for the 65.5 mm bore i think?? Any suggestions??? 

Fianlly i took it out on an open paved road and let it rip and she just is ALL top end. Must have been doing 65 70 mph and it still wanted to wind out more. So im now looking at how i can either gain some low end with the current pipes being i fabricated the frame extensively around them instead of modifiying pipes. However the way i did the fabrication should allow me to run any pipe that drops out without the cork screw IE stock or PT pipes. I called Vito's they said i may be able to drop down from 22cc domes to 21 or 20cc and that will increase compression and low end. I also have a set of Bill's pipes ive been pondering running they just look so wimpy next to the Vito's lol. Frail by all appearances lol. But for the type of riding i will be doing mostly trails and hillclimbing im thinking they will work alot better. Im not against buying a new set of pipes either im just not sure exacly to set this engine up for shooting hills. ive had banshees before 10 years ago but the technology has come along ways since then. So many variable with changing this and that. I could really use a few pointers on this thats for sure. 

Im not to concerned with the top speed as much as i am about having plenty of available power on a gnarly winding climb up these bluffs we have in the midwest. A few other guys i know running Banshees swear by running 100% stock but thats just boring lol. I like a loud abnoxious ride. 

I have a few options on the carbs already on the shelf.

Ive got a dual chariot billet intake and a dual set of Mikuni TM 28mm flatslides. A little bit more work to route the boots for an airbox but first ride i had on this bike was with these carbs and it ripped a HELL of alot harder than i does now. Mostly top end though which is wy i went to the 2:1 not really seeing it just yet.

Ive also got a set of Keihin pj 34mm but no intake to fit them.

I guess where im at is id like to use what i have if i can but im willing to do whatever i need to to get an insane low/mid range setup. School me up please :) Thx 

Your 2-1 with the Vito's Fat Bastards combo is definitely not jiving well. That's a torquey little Low RPM intake with an inframe drag pipe. Those 28mm TM's would be really great for what you want if you are willing to change a few things up. I'd bet you can trade those Fat bastards for just about any Pro Circuit, FMF, Toomey, etc. If you're ok with spending I'd say get your head rechambered as well. Not just milled. Some decent reeds and a timing plate would be cheap as well.

Are you wanting to stay on pump fuel?

And what kind of fab work did you do on it?

I am really leaning towards the Toomey pipes I've been hearing a lot of good reviews. I do have V force 4 reeds installed and I also have a timing plate installed as well. What do you mean by rechambering the head milling? Would the set of Bills pipes be close in comparison to Tommey?

Re chambering is to actually change the shape and Size of the combustion chamber.

I guess you should just bolt those Bill's pipes on once just to see if it's ok for you. But I bet if you got something better to run with those 28's you may be happier. In all honesty, the Toomeys are overrated IMO. They seem to have a flat laggy feeling right when you wick the throttle. I'd even try pro circuits or FMF's. Maybe a new set of SLP pipes.

Sorry got distracted in the midst of my last reply. Pump gas I'm not stuck on but 110 & 114 is hard to come by except in the summer in my parts so I guess I'd prefer to stay on pump gas if I can. As for fab work its only been done on the stock YFZ frame. I basically redesigned the risers to make more room for the exhaust without running them drag style out the sides. I also moved the steering stem seat back about 1.5" which allows me room to put an oversized YFZ radiator in front of the stem. The quad actually handles surprisingly awesome with this angle. I had a houser + 1 stem with pro tapers but now its more like +3 and I'd bet I can damn near bunny hop with it. Love the stance of it. I can't wait to air it out. This frame is just a prototype I plan on tigging up a 4130 chromoly frame before doing any serious hard rides.

Changing shape size of combustion chamber no kidding? I had no idea that was even possible lol shows how long I've been out of the loop lol. I'm OK with the metal fabrication but machining I'm a complete tard

Changing shape size of combustion chamber no kidding? I had no idea that was even possible lol shows how long I've been out of the loop lol. I'm OK with the metal fabrication but machining I'm a complete tard

Mull Engineering (site sponser) does a stock head re-chamber fairly reasonable $$. Wish you were closer, might be interested in those Bastards.

Cool i will for sure check those out. 

Ive tried and tried to upload some pics but i guess im going to have to just break down and sign up for a premium membership lol. I cant seem to get any of my pics resized small enough to upload kinda is a pain in the ass!. Anyways im going to start a thread over in the conversion forum. Yall come on by and check me out.. Peace... Clownboy