cornering tips

m671054

Switching from sand to dirt this year has showed me i need different bikes and skills for the different styles of riding. The closest ride spot is a mx track so i figure i better focus on this style of riding. Currently have a full bolt on motor with all stock suspension. I know aftermarket suspension will be recomended and its something im working on. Currently i cant get through the corners like i think i should. Can you steer through the corners or is it all drifting? Currently trying to almost square them off by steering but the bike just pushes so bad. Also how do you guys enter the corners? I might be braking to early or late.

I spent days practicing a tight flat turn in a field one summer back when I was a young pup. What works for me, I tend to brake it loose and start to pitch the ass just to the apex. Keep up on the tank and don't be afraid of the front brake. Right as you hit apex, let off the brake, and quickly but smoothly transition your weight from front to back while still leaning. Start easing the throttle on and keep it pointed.

Things to remember:

Front brakes help the bike dive

Rear brakes can help in long swooping turns with trail braking

Complete all down shifting before the apex

Once you transition weight, keep your butt over the tires for throttle.

Edited by trickedcarbine

Long(er) travel. Most folks just think in terms of bump travel, but where it's at is the droop travel IMO. Your bike comes out of the turn and starts to push and shove outward since the front is lifting. But if you can keep it somewhat down and allow the suspension to drop the tires low enough to keep contact the bike can still corner.

you said all stock..

a stock banshee will never corner like its on rails..  

all kinds of people talk about setup but never about rider position or technique.   and who knows what your rider skill is or what you have ever been taught or bad habbits learned. 

take a video of you rriding on the track and also from the outside and both inside corners or overall corner of you going through a corner.  then if you can find it  watch vid's of "pro's" on mx track and you might start to see patterns. 

you said all stock..

a stock banshee will never corner like its on rails..

all kinds of people talk about setup but never about rider position or technique. and who knows what your rider skill is or what you have ever been taught or bad habbits learned.

take a video of you rriding on the track and also from the outside and both inside corners or overall corner of you going through a corner. then if you can find it watch vid's of "pro's" on mx track and you might start to see patterns.

Agreed on the filming

I spent days practicing a tight flat turn in a field one summer back when I was a young pup. What works for me, I tend to brake it loose and start to pitch the ass just to the apex. Keep up on the tank and don't be afraid of the front brake. Right as you hit apex, let off the brake, and quickly but smoothly transition your weight from front to back while still leaning. Start easing the throttle on and keep it pointed.

Things to remember:

Front brakes help the bike dive

Rear brakes can help in long swooping turns with trail braking

Complete all down shifting before the apex

Once you transition weight, keep your butt over the tires for throttle.