Auto Choke 1987 Banshee

Tyler S

I recently purchased an original all stock (so i'm told) 1987 banshee for a school project. It runs and drives, however starting the thing is a pain in the a$$. The guy told me that it has an auto choke but I don't know if I believe him. After it starts it runs awesome. When its below 50 degrees fahrenheit I have to use starting fluid and it starts up no problem. Above 50 degrees it starts on about the 7th or 8th kick. Did they ever make an auto choke for a banshee, especially a 1987? Anyways should be a fun project.

Thanks Tyler  

Welcome to the addiction. ....

First school lesson....

Remove carbs and report back with jetting specs...pilot and main..

While your there do a compression check with a known good tester...

Search about "leak down tester" and also perform that test...

Report back and you will get the answers you need from this site

Thanks for the help guys. Ive been trying to load some pictures but iPhoto on my computer isn't working. Anyways I got it down to school and showed my teacher the carbs. Turns out they are old sled carbs, the type that use a primer bulb. The primer fitting wasn't hooked up and was sucking air so thats why it was hard to start. (lucky I didn't blow it up) Did a compression test and tested 110psi in each cylinder so thats good. Should be a fun project Ill post some pics when I get my computer working.

Thanks Tyler 

Looks like two left side carbs, your chock and cross overs are plugged, the right side throttle cable isn't seated in carb top. You also should get new boots for the airbox.

Yeah the guy had rolled up mud flaps as boots because his "precious" k&n's wouldn't fit the carbs lol. Those white plastic fittings are for an oil injection system.