Stripped footpeg insert in frame Help!

Green95LX

One of my footpeg inserts in the frame started to strip out on me, So i whipped up this set of replacements to fix that problem once and for all. Not bad for using a hand drill, a grinder and some file work? Yes, i could have helicoil insert repaired them or even tapped to a different thread pitch. There's really not much thread length at all on the rear two, it's laughable how little there actually is. People drilling and tapping larger take note, it's just a nut in there. These replacements have more thread all around and i tapped them M10x1.5 which is a coarse thread instead of the M10 fine thread yamaha had installed. Should be a simple install once the other ones are removed.

inserts1.jpg

inserts2.jpg

When I read this... I was thinking. ..this guy did this with a hand drill? Awsome. ..:)
  • Like 1

I'd buy that man a beer for sure. No, i did all of the work on that little Leblond. I say little because its a small tyke compared to some. i'm not sure how old the machine is, it's probably from the 60s or 70s. They (the parts) were hand made, no CNC/NC control

Edited by Green95LX

I'd buy that man a beer for sure. No, i did all of the work on that little Leblond. I say little because its a small tyke compared to some. i'm not sure how old the machine is, it's probably from the 60s or 70s. They (the parts) were hand made, no CNC/NC control

Pic? I have a 12 ft Leblond at my work. Very nice lathe. Everything else I use is Hardinge and Bridgeport...CNC n manuel.

By the time you cover material, shop expenses, and shipping you will be working for peanuts. Only way to be profitable would be in large production run with automated machines. Sounds like your well aware of this though. Let these guys shop around your drawing at local machine shops first.

By the time you cover material, shop expenses, and shipping you will be working for peanuts. Only way to be profitable would be in large production run with automated machines. Sounds like your well aware of this though. Let these guys shop around your drawing at local machine shops first.

This. I took your drawings, re did them and handed it to my pops. He's a machinist. So it's easy for me to get. I'm not making any for anyone to sell. I they want them, they can do what I did.

Oh yeah, i'm not trying to make a living with these. I'll make a few more sets maybe if the parts are worth enough.