Alcohol plug read help

Turns out my crank is fine. The noise I herd was my flywheel nut came off and the fly wheel was clunking around on the crank, I thought it was the lower rod bearings.

So I'm pretty happy about this and at the same time a little embarrassed that I jumped the gun. Turns out I've talked to a cpl. People and I'm not the only who ever thought this. Lol

The thing is it must of happend rite at the end of my run, because I shut the motor down all was fine, pulled the plugs, they looked extremely lean, went to start it back up shortly after, and herd and felt the clunk, clunk as I kicked. Anyway if this gas happened to you let me know.

I got that sucker tighten down this time. Air must have been low last time and I didn't notice.

Glad your motor is ok. Had the same thing happen to me once. I'm still trying to get my new build dialed in as well. It's kind of tough here though. Basically have to T&T during actual race days. Dyno time is available but not a real world application. We raced yesterday and did pretty good. Made it to the final round and got  taken out by a 20 mil beast.

Keep trying and good luck.

Troy

Glad your motor is ok. Had the same thing happen to me once. I'm still trying to get my new build dialed in as well. It's kind of tough here though. Basically have to T&T during actual race days. Dyno time is available but not a real world application. We raced yesterday and did pretty good. Made it to the final round and got  taken out by a 20 mil beast.

Troy

A dyno is the best place to get a good grasp on what kind of timing your engine likes to see.  Finer tuning is best done on location.

Air Impact and don't overdue it along with blue loctite.

Or...just get another flywheel nut and double nut it..

Be careful with loctite on flywheels.  It can act as a lubricant while it's still wet.  I screwed a crank up a few years back by torquing it to the factory spec with loctite.

Edited by tfaith08

I run aluminum flywheels torqued to 40ft lbs max or they'll wedge on way to tight. On re-assembly I use two small drops of blue locktite. Glad you found that it wasn't a blown motor since most guy's new to alcohol will at the very least take out a piston during the "learning curve".

Glad your motor is ok. Had the same thing happen to me once. I'm still trying to get my new build dialed in as well. It's kind of tough here though. Basically have to T&T during actual race days. Dyno time is available but not a real world application. We raced yesterday and did pretty good. Made it to the final round and got taken out by a 20 mil beast.

Troy

Thanks, ya it sure isn't an overnight thing. But man I sure am learning lots! Bet u must be aswell? I have my first race on the 25th, 2 weeks, and a new override on the way.

the outer crank bearing may have damage to it.  if you can check the runout of the outer stub.   if it is significant you have some big time problems.

in my opinion for builders  call them all  the ones that want you to run pv's in a trail bike  stick with them.  the ones that say  " those valves are a waste of time  i can make it run 135hp!!!"  might not have your actual riding interests in mind...  

i run a timing plate and some of them i run the stock curves ( because with the timing plate and those curves i can get the initial i want with the less on the higher rpms i want also.)  i have ran custom mapped dyna's also  most noticeable was the one on my outlaw.  it was custom mapped in great bend at gigots.  lots of tq to be gained if done right... 

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first race event with this bike, I'm hooked! Bike ran perfect! Lectrons performed so good! I'm pretty sure I have it set up pretty good!

I took 2 3rd places with it. 3rd in the 2 stroke open and 3rd in the 2 and 4 stroke open! Out of about 15 bikes. Not bad considering the bike was in pieces 2 days prior, for a transmission change!

Thanks for the advice and help guys!

There was no times? I wish! Not very professional set up, like you guys have in the US, but it was still racing and there was still some good bikes that showed up. Thier was even a cpl. Super mods, intercooler turbo charged 4 cyl. Bikes. Probably like 30 gs into them!

No lights, start was done with a elastic band across the line?

I wish I could post a cpl. Videos, but for some reason I am having trouble getting them to upload to my photo bucket, tried hard! Just can't get them to upload to photo bucket to b able to transfer here. Next time I'm going to have a buddy work a timer so I have some #'s to compare even just for myself.

That's great news.

Glad you had fun. How did the plugs look after the few runs you had. Post pics if possible . Just curious.

I hope you didn't purge on them . If so disregard my pics statement .  :whistling:

Troy

No I purged on a different set of plugs. I will post up in a cpl. Min. Just uploading.

They don't look new like everyone says they should? However after many all out passes, I can see a timing line, and if one looks close you can also see the burn mark on the one plug for air/ fuel.

I know I must need more tuni g still, cause guys tell me their plugs still look new after a bunch of passes and running the bike back after a pass? Not sure why mine doesn't?

My power jets are set at 1/2 turn in from wide open