Banshee hard to start?

Well I have a 87 banshee and it used to run fine.. It was used a week at the dunes and after 6 days it started being very hard to start. It has good compression, new reeds, you have to kick it hard to start it and it almost wants to bog kinda but you pull the clutch in and it stops the bogging. Sounds like fuel issue but its not trust me. The headlights are as dim as a candle and its hard to start when it's hot too. I believe when I ride it, it's loosing spark and dies out. I ordered a new stator last night hoping that resolves my issue. What do you think it is? I've also been told a dirty flywheel? It might be since it was at the dunes for 6 days

It could be a stator issue did you happen to put an ohm meter on the wires and test it before you ordered a new one? What brand did you order? I do not think you have a dirty flywheel that is not usually an issue unless you have been riding it in the river. Almost sounds like to me if you pull the clutch and the motor runs better than you may have a bearing going out. 

Honestly didnt even care to test it out.. Just ordered one for like 40$ on eBay. It only did that bogging thing for a bit and I let more air in by turning the screw on the carb out and it seemed a lot better. Just now it's hard to start like I said.. Also since the spark I'm guessin isn't strong enough that's why this thing keeps flooding out. Got pull started the other day and held full throttle while it was cranking over from being pulled and it cleared up and hauled down the rode like no other haha I'm totally confused on what to do.. Hopefully this stator helps the issue..

When you turned the screw out you changed the air fuel ratio to lean. That is going to be one reason why it does not want to start. Running too lean will lead to reduced weight in your pistions via holes.  I would have started with reading the plugs and checking spark at the plugs. When is the last time the plugs were changed? How is the condition of the wires and coil?

Are there any mods to the bike?

Honestly didnt even care to test it out.. Just ordered one for like 40$ on eBay. It only did that bogging thing for a bit and I let more air in by turning the screw on the carb out and it seemed a lot better. Just now it's hard to start like I said.. Also since the spark I'm guessin isn't strong enough that's why this thing keeps flooding out. Got pull started the other day and held full throttle while it was cranking over from being pulled and it cleared up and hauled down the rode like no other haha I'm totally confused on what to do.. Hopefully this stator helps the issue..

I think you really need to do a little more checking before you just start throwing parts at it. You said compression was good but did you test it or you just think it is good? Need to start at the beginning and actually figure out what is causing your problem. First thing to do is check compression and see what the actual number is, next thing to do is pull both carbs and check your reeds and make sure they are all good. Then ohm out your stator and make sure it is bad before you throw a 40.00 ebay stator at it and still have a problem. Check those things then that will us the info needed to really point you in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Nope.. Blows my finger right off the spark plug hole and getting around 110 psi each cylinder. Now here's my problem now.. NO SPARK before I kept loosing spark and now I have none. Like I said earlier I thought it was the stator and I have one on the way... I still think that's the issue.

110 is getting low. Ohm out the stator and coil before you end up blowing a bunch of money blindly

a sheared key will usually cause back firing. but still spark.So it  blows your finger off. OK what kind of finger .. French, Asian, Better yet which finger ? There is more to your spark then just a coil and stator. A faulty CDI can cause loss of  spark when warmed up.  If your loosing your headlamps it may be the stator or rectifier.