Mikuni vs kehin

JDP421

I've heard many say pwks make more power (few hp) then lectrons but as far as pwk vs the mikunis, and even lectron for that matter, I'm sure you'll never hear a definitive answer. I know k&t ran mikuni in a lot of their stuff, a builder who has set tons of records. On the opposite spectrum (keihin) a&s used these all the time, also set records. And even for the Lectron fans, Packard ran these and also set records (keep in mind these builders were usually competing against each other, whether it was the hill or 300ft).... Each of these builders I am sure had a dyno easily at their disposal, and I am sure they have tested each carb to see what they liked most (fuck who wouldn't if they could...), and they all came to different conclusions. If one was better wouldn't everyone run just that carb? The power difference between the three most be so minute that in the real world, the only "best" carb is the one you decide for yourself. Each brand will do great things for you set up properly, as these builders and many others have already proven. As for your original question (mikuni vs keihin), my builder is choosing mikuni over pwk. And trust me, he has a dyno, and his decision is preference... Hope this helps.

Fastkid, I agree 100% with you.

No carb offers more power than the other.  It has to do with personal preference.

My old mil ran the same numbers with PWKs as it did with Lectrons.
I liked the Lectrons better because of their ease of tune and simplicity.

I borrowed them to others, they didn't like them as much (to be honest, I'm not sure who has them...lol)

Those Lectrons, also being honest, were given to me in literally like new condition.

Pay it forward type deal.

I would have never shelled out the $700 plus it would've cost me to buy them setup from Packard at that time like they were.

I'd have converted a set of snomo pumper PWKs like most around here do.

But once I got 'em, read up on them and experienced them, I loved them.

All adjustments from the top...no need to take off the float bowl, etc.

But I agree, world records are set with just about every kind of carb in what we do...it's 100% personal preference.

Now why can't we all pay it forward more ;)

Power comes from pipe, port configuration, and combustion chamber (dome / head) in my opinion. As Long as your air / fuel ratio is good I don't think carb brand matters. Personally I wonder why lectrons aren't everywhere. They're soooo easy.

Because they're too difficult for Loco to figure out....LOL.

Now why can't we all pay it forward more ;)

Power comes from pipe, port configuration, and combustion chamber (dome / head) in my opinion. As Long as your air / fuel ratio is good I don't think carb brand matters. Personally I wonder why lectrons aren't everywhere. They're soooo easy.

I think it would be price , and maybe because people where already setting tecorda with what they had available and lectrons came after , idk but lectrons once you get to know em are nice to have , not having to drill out your main in the midle of the dunes cause of dramatic tempeture change is a plus , tune by the turn of a needle or even go back to gas is pretty cool as well

Price and they aren't tuned like a Keihin or Mikuni are exactly the reasons why.

Let's face it, not many go from alky to gas or back.

It's really ease of tuning.

I also found mine to not be as temp sensitive to adjustments.  I could operate the same when temps varied by 20 to 40 degrees...

• 4 weeks later...

I have swayed builders to lectrons after they said they didnt make the same power as pwks and they did in fact make the same power.

As for the difference in carbs I have found ANY true flatslide such as 34-42mm mikunis or lectrons werent quite as picky with jetting as pwks were. It could be carb size but I doubt it.

Mikunis on a gas bike for example will run fairly well a jet or two rich. PWKs or Airstrykers have to be right on the money or the bike will likely bog out of the hole. Might be why a larger builder would just recommend mikunis as they would be easier for customers as well as safer to leave a bike a jet size rich if it will still run 99% as well as jetted perfect or borderline lean.

I can usually hop on a bike and tell if it is rich with pwks in 10 seconds , not as easy with mikunis or lectrons. They will sound fine but be a bit rich still when plugs are checked or dyno , AFR checked.

Really a selling point for each carb type. Mikunis or Lectrons run ok rich or the fact that it is easier to tell if the pwks are rich by sound and feel to a trained ear/rider.