PARTS CHANGERS VS TECHNICIANS----dl this service manual

Brap_Life

As far as I have seen, when a CDI is the issue they either work or they don't. Simple.

I've seen two different ones on two different bikes that would cause a misfire at high RPMs. Swapped them out and the bikes ran fine. They would both start up and idle normally.

WtF. If I'm at the track and have a suspected ignition issue I change CDI, Coil, and stator until I find (or don't find) the culprit. If I have 3 of each in my trailer that's an easy way to trouble shoot. I don't really know what this thread is about.

This thread is about some dumbass who thinks he knows more than we do by reading a manual.

I change parts all the time.

Pick up coil controls spark. It has it's own seperate coil, the reluctor on the flywheel interupts the magnetic field, allowing 3 or so volts up the pick up coil, jumped up at the cdi, jumped up again at the coil, jumped up again at the spark plug.

spark wasn't your problem if it was the stator, you probably didn't have power out of your cdi all together.

Saw alot of people asking about manuals, wanted to post this one.

flame on.

correction the doesnt interrupt the magnetic field "creates" one. This can be seen on a scope. It is known as a VR or variable reluctance sensor. The cdi see this and "dumps" charge built up with a capacitor to fire the coil. Hence the name Capacitive Discharge Ignition.

Anything else we can do for you?

WtF. If I'm at the track and have a suspected ignition issue I change CDI, Coil, and stator until I find (or don't find) the culprit. If I have 3 of each in my trailer that's an easy way to trouble shoot. I don't really know what this thread is about.

i actualy think this thread is about you J-Madd lol, your crazy parts changing to troubleshoot electrical problems ideas upset Fap_life in another thread.

J Madd. This was more of a thread to say "hey, need to know how to diagnose issues? Here is a manual.

Lot of new guys on here asking questions and getting flamed for everything they ask or say, a lot of young typing pride in here. Trying to save them the headache.

Difference between parts changer and technician ... technician diagnoses a problemm and fixes the cause. If a tech pulls a motor apart and just replaces the (4 stroke) piston and cam, does not investigate what caused the motor to suddenly starve for oil, just rebuilds it and sends the customer on the way...he didn't see the shop rag fibers stuck in oil pick up, successfully staunching oil flow to the top end, that customers bike will last no time, he chanhed parts, did not find out why the machine malfunctioned.

CoupeLx- pick up coil is constantly charged by rotor, reluctors interrupt signal, thus allowing itt to escape to the least path of resistance, everytime the reluctor interrupts the magnetic field, an ac signal goes to the cdi, stepped up and shot out with the next signal.

Coupelx, Tesla would be dissapointed. Its a collapsing ignition. Motion magnent coil of wire, the pulser coil is the wire, the magnent is the rotor, the motion is the reluctor interrupting the magnetic field between pulser/rotor is the motion. Interupting the field creates the small ac sine wave that the cdi reads as go, happy faces fly out of cdi to coil.

Vr scope, big stuff. Ac cdi is really simple folks. Ac can not be directly sent as a signal, it needs to be interupted to be sent, whereas dc voltage can be stored and sent through a rising field. Cdi is charged through ig stator lead.

Brap...

Hit up Ricky Stator...they could use your help.

Honestly, many of us don't have time to be technicians when riding.  Either at the race track or in the dunes or trails.

So we're parts changers...

Many of us know the common failures of the bikes we ride (that's one good thing about having a quad that went basically unchanged for over 20 plus years).

So we keep extras on hand.

You probably could've saved yourself greif with a little different delivery, instead of the way you handeld it.

coupelx

variable resistor to communicate with the cdi so it will discharge the capactor wwwhhhhaaaaaattt?

I shouldn't.

Variable resistors are most often times used in fuel injection system for the throttle positioning sensor, whereas the computer recieves a certain signal, which in turn is broken down into math to find out how far the throttle plates are open in degrees, and often times used on high performance carbureted machines to decide how much timing should be thrown at the motor at that particular moment.

also used in electromagnetic charging systems where the resistor is in between battery and electromagnet, and only allows X amount of voltage to%2

dajogejr---- fully agree, could have stepped at it in a different manner. Early morning, too much caffiene, it happens. It's funny this all started because i was trying to help someone diagnose an issue, and was flamed on in a thread by more people than were actually giving any advice.  And now ive fallen victim to it.

lordoftheflieshq.com it seems...

still trying to help on other threads. I really do just love talking to people in the industry, and giving advice, and learning new things. When I am not at work I am at swap meets, sled drags, quad drags, at the mx tracks promoting rg3 suspension servcing for big wigs, giving riders advice on bike set ups, and getting riding(usually whip) advice from much better riders.

my banshee is just the remnants of the 13 yr old kid who used to sit in his room reading atv action and dirtwheels at night, drooling, i mean DROOLING over the banshees alba trinity ct and all others were building, not to mention the old trx250r's. So obsessed i could never shake it. through all the motocross, through all the times with no toy whatsoever, i can never stop thinking about banshee's, through the few that i have owned and swore i would never buy another, yet here i am with another banshee that has turned into a project, and i still love it. Love motocross, pretty much comfortable on any brand, but as far as quads it has to be a banshee.

break it down easy. cdi is powered by a leg of the stator, it is ac voltage. The cdi recieves signals from the pickup coil, the cdi steps this signal up to 100v's or so as it leaves the cdi, it reaches the coil, where it again is stepped up, goes to the spark plug cap which is a HUGE resistor, so voltage increases enormously, and it jumps the electrode in your plug. Reluctor moving over pickup coil is the signal to spark. ac system. ac voltage everywhere.