The 1st Gear Launch, All The Secrets!

SlowerThanYou

Look, I'm a doctor!!

Vomiting (known medically as emesis and informally as throwing up and numerous other terms) is the forceful expulsion of the contents of one's stomach through the mouth and sometimes the nose.[1] Vomiting can be caused by a wide variety of conditions; it may present as a specific response to ailments like gastritis or poisoning, or as a non-specific sequela of disorders ranging from brain tumors and elevated intracranial pressure to overexposure to ionizing radiation. The feeling that one is about to vomit is called nausea, which often precedes, but does not always lead to, vomiting. Antiemetics are sometimes necessary to suppress nausea and vomiting. In severe cases, where dehydration develops, intravenous fluid may be required.

Vomiting is different from regurgitation, although the two terms are often used interchangeably. Regurgitation is the return of undigested food back up the esophagus to the mouth, without the force and displeasure associated with vomiting. The causes of vomiting and regurgitation are generally different.

Just kidding, this is just what STY does when he types!!

More RPM allows you to use more gears (at the expense of less torque.) The only way to potentially go faster is to make equal or more power at a higher RPM.

As far as you running 1st gear, you change the ratio, so that wouldn't apply anyway to 100% of all other racers out there if they tried to run 1 - 4. I didn't check the ratio, but is your 1-4 similar to a billet 1-4?

I'd guess your using 1st to slow wheel speed (and lockup speed) on launch, and probably works better with your launch limiter, where it can be all or none leaving in 2nd.

Furthermore, I think these topics are just you killing time while you recover.

Off topic:I don't know if anyone else has mentioned, but thanks for your service to our great country!

More RPM allows you to use more gears (at the expense of less torque.) The only way to potentially go faster is to make equal or more power at a higher RPM.

As far as you running 1st gear, you change the ratio, so that wouldn't apply anyway to 100% of all other racers out there if they tried to run 1 - 4. I didn't check the ratio, but is your 1-4 similar to a billet 1-4?

I'd guess your using 1st to slow wheel speed (and lockup speed) on launch, and probably works better with your launch limiter, where it can be all or none leaving in 2nd.

Furthermore, I think these topics are just you killing time while you recover.

Off topic:I don't know if anyone else has mentioned, but thanks for your service to our great country!

We run both the stock ratio & 2.54 ratio. It's a stock cut 1-4, manual 5 & 6 override.

Actually, if feel we are using the multiplied torque of the gear to pull our heavy bike & fat ass out of the gate.

Now, lets go back to your 1st paragraph. Our bike makes very little power at 10,700-10.800. That's how we have it geared for 1/4 mile & gives our quickest ETs. We are in high gear at about 600' & the motor hangs it's lungs out for the majority of the run.

We do a similar set-up for 300'. It's not easy making a lightened stock frame (310lb.) with a 443cc race gas cub and a 210lb. rider go 3.94. I'll continue to do all my so called BS & do just fine. All the arm chair racer's might think that's easy, LOL!

Thanks for the recognition of me serving our great country. I don't remember bringing that up? I served in the Air Force for 26 years. I'm lucky to still be serving the country, for a Defense Contractor. I salute all the military member's, veteran's and their families for there sacrifices.

ok i stopped reading about page 3.

i just would  like to add why i run 1-5..  

i'm a fat ass.  when i had a 2-5 i would consistantly shred 2nd gear launching it that way.   the motors i build create a lot of tq.  i tire/ gear them to try and get out of the hole as hard and as fast as possible.  going to the 1-5 helped out a shit ton.  i run 15-16 front and 40-41 rear. 14 extreme's in a 72-74 roll.  i also start in deep ruts on the dunes and try to load the engine as hard as possible.   bike weighs about 280lbs and i weigh the same.  when i started snapping 2nd i weighed 220 lbs.

using the 1-5 override the first shift is very very quick.  i have taught this to a few people and they have also loved the 1-5 style launch.  others  not so much.  those are the riders i see that hold 1st way to damn long.  and the motor goes way into overrev and looses a ton of power/ and velocity.    to me also  there is the useage of 5th gear better.  a 1-5 can handle a lot more gear.  i try to gear to hit at LEAST 80+mph on the sand.  with the 1-5 its very easy to do and still have a decent gear to launch with

these are just my experiences using this style of trans in a bunch of differnt motor combo's/ ( 350cc up to a 535._)

some use a 2-5  and others like a 1-5 all i'm going to say

1st gear is stronger than 2nd, all there is to it really.

Many people don't gear/tire/clutch their bikes to use 1st gear for the very reason there is such a gap from 1-2...so many launch in 2nd and the issue is exposed.

2nd is a weaker gear.

Im no trans expert nor a drag racer.. but im sure all the gears are made the same way with the same material. Id have to say that the main reason why 2nd is prone to fail over 1st gear is simple the added amount of load generated by using a high gear. The higher the gear the more load. Jmo

Im no trans expert nor a drag racer.. but im sure all the gears are made the same way with the same material. Id have to say that the main reason why 2nd is prone to fail over 1st gear is simple the added amount of load generated by using a high gear. The higher the gear the more load. Jmo

I'm trying not to speak out of school, so don't take this for bible.

It has to do with either and/or the thickness of the gear, the number of dogs and/or the other gears engaged while the trans is in 1st.

My old friend who has cut a gazillion overrides told me the reason 1st is stronger and more reliable.

But it has slipped my mind.  I'm hoping a builder that cuts their own trans can chime in with the real answer.

You are correct, they are all made the same way and with the same steel, it's how it engages and a few other variables.

Im like daj. I've been told 10 times but can never remember the whole story. I believe its because 2nd has the 6th gear drive dogs on the opposite side so there is simply less material to the gear. Now if memory serves me correct you can weld those dogs to add some material and strength. But I could be way off also.

1st gear is stronger than 2nd, all there is to it really.

Many people don't gear/tire/clutch their bikes to use 1st gear for the very reason there is such a gap from 1-2...

You hit on some of the things to make 1st gear work.

I'm trying not to speak out of school, so don't take this for bible.

It has to do with either and/or the thickness of the gear, the number of dogs and/or the other gears engaged while the trans is in 1st.

My old friend who has cut a gazillion overrides told me the reason 1st is stronger and more reliable.

But it has slipped my mind.  I'm hoping a builder that cuts their own trans can chime in with the real answer.

You are correct, they are all made the same way and with the same steel, it's how it engages and a few other variables.

IMO, some of it has to do with one 1st gear being one piece with the shaft.