think its seized?

97 banshee. Bought it 3 weeks ago the guy saaid it had the big bore on it. And running k&n eye filters I cleaned them and used protective oil. Did that last week. Rode it pretty good yesterday gave her a good riding.Wet fishing got back jumped on her fired right up no problems. Got a bit down the rode ran outta gas, pushed it back put gas in, fired right up no problems. Let my buddy ride it and I watched him go down the road and the bike started bogging and then locked up the tires and came to a skidding hault. I went up to see what was happening and the kick won't move. If I move the kick back and kinda let off of it and push the kick back again I can get it to cycle down . But won't budge when I try to kick it. I tried to pop start it and nothing it just dragged the tires. Help me please and thank you. The bike wasn't running hot either.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you dump unmixed gas in it? I tell all my friends, when they get a Banshee, "I'll help you work on your bike, but if you run unmixed gas and melt it down, you're on your own".

Easiest way to inspect is pull plugs and look at them. Then pull the exhaust and look up the exhaust port to see if the pistons look scuffed.

Did you dump unmixed gas in it? I tell all my friends, when they get a Banshee, "I'll help you work on your bike, but if you run unmixed gas and melt it down, you're on your own".

Easiest way to inspect is pull plugs and look at them. Then pull the exhaust and look up the exhaust port to see if the pistons look scuffed.

X2. Sounds like it was ran on straight gas. Either way, I bet the pistons are melted.

So, pull the right pipe and I bet the problem will be obvious. Do a leakdown test BEFORE you take the top end apart.

X2.  You'll have the pipes pulled so look at the exhaust side of the piston.  If nothing, check the stator side (only because it's easy and no fluid to drain) then the clutch side to make sure nothing is binding it up.  All of this has to come off anyway if you melted it down.  Could be the crank spread or something broke in the tranny also.  Several things to look at but a white plug does point to a lean condition.

SP

No. Now get your butt out there and pull the exhaust.

Exactly, It isn't heat from combustion, it is heat from friction due to lack of lubrication from a lean air to fuel mixture.  The exhaust side of the piston usually sustains damage first if you displace fuel (oil) with air.  The exhaust side is easy to see.  You can also check the intake side (which I would do if the exhaust looks good), then check the stator side and then the clutch side as I said previously.  If you find nothing after all this, you may be faced with spitting the cases to find the issue.

SP