10mm DMX Testing

SlowerThanYou

I was going through the Bakersfield time slips today. Looks like we made 33 runs in all on the new motor/chassis. I found 4 of my slips that went thru the washing process, not good.

Anyway, while the BAKO drags is not considered a great track, but good. Plus, it's a great time! We do have some comparisons from last year with the 443 cub/stock frame & the new DMX/rigid chassis combo.

We always spend a good majority of our time tuning our clutch, but with the new combo. We had to work on timing, fuel, tires, clutch, shift/launch rpm & other areas. We made changes darn near every pass, including eliminations.

Last year with the Cub combination we worked hard to manage a best of 1.39 60' @ the event. This year, while a little more inconsistent with the 60's. We did manage low 1.40s 60's, but just missed our best at that track with the cub.

Our goal with the new motor is high 1.20s 60's. I keep get reminded by the experts, that will be hard to do with the bigger motor. It was pretty hard/lots of work to get low - mid 1.30s with the little motor. Anyway, that's our goal, but this rigid chassis sure is different from the stock frame. I'm much more confident with the stock than the rigid. Hopefully that changes quickly. 

I'm going to answer some questions indirectly:

The majority of people run too much base pressure when using lock-ups.

The 443 Cub/race gas/stock frame we ran 22x11x8 12 paddle Extremes, 22x11x8 14 paddle Haulers & 22x11x8 14 paddle Rippers

The DMX/race gas/rigid chassis, all tires, but one set were 84"-85" RO. We started with 16 paddle staggered Rippers, 16 paddle Rippers, 14 Rippers & 14 extremes. The other tire was a 80" RO with 14 paddle staggered Rippers. I don't remember the specifics on the rims sizes. The dia. varied from 10", 12" & 13". 

On both motors we leave in 1st gear. We have a 1-4 override with manual 5 & 6. All our experience is leaving in 1st gear. So, we go with what we know. 

Brian,

I for one would LOVE to see you roll a 1.299999999  60 foot.

I'm not saying it can't be done.  I am in agreement it will be very difficult to achieve.

If you're able to do that and don't over paddle or have the bike fall flat on it's face there won't be an ATV based motor that should be able to touch that until you get into much, much bigger ccs and fuel types.  Wild Thing comes to mind when I hear 1.2 60 foot.

As does Bad Frog Top Fuel Dragster...LOL.

Brian,

I for one would LOVE to see you roll a 1.299999999  60 foot.

I'm not saying it can't be done.  I am in agreement it will be very difficult to achieve.

If you're able to do that and don't over paddle or have the bike fall flat on it's face there won't be an ATV based motor that should be able to touch that until you get into much, much bigger ccs and fuel types.  Wild Thing comes to mind when I hear 1.2 60 foot.

As does Bad Frog Top Fuel Dragster...LOL.

Dave, you now I like to be challenged & I like to set certain goals for my tuning. LOL!

Anyway the Wild Thing 60's came up in another subject when I said the PR bikes have ran high 1.18 - low 1.20 60's. I'm going to give a more recent example of 60's. I don't not have the time slips, but Arlo (Big Bucks) has them from the most recent BAKO drags. Arlo, was pulling mid to low 1.3 60's, his opponent was pulling 1.2 60's. I'm pretty sure the one slip I saw was a 1.24.

Anyway, I have never seen Wild Things or Top Fuel 300' sand 60's. I only talk about what I have personally seen or experienced. The technology has came a long way with tires & people are getting wiser to clutch tuning. Just to name a few items that's is helping the 60's & ET numbers.

Maybe justwannarace (White Knuckle) will share his best 60' with their limited 650 class quad. We were talking about in the shout about a week ago.

1.29 is doable with that motor in a ridgid. I think our best is 1.32 or 1.31.

I agree, we have been 1.31-1.33 60' on our 443 gas cub with a stock frame, more than a few times. That was on a great track, we ran it at BAKO last year & the best 60' was 1.39.

I don't know what's going to happen with this new motor/chassis. I know one thing, I'm more comfortable tuning with our stock frame.

A couple questions...

Last I heard, the PR guys used nitrous like a mofo....and I've seen pictures of their very light rider. Are you talking similar motor cc, without nitrous and similar in weight to your current setup?

I agree... Clutch setup, gearing and tires are all new game now a days.

A couple questions...

Last I heard, the PR guys used nitrous like a mofo....and I've seen pictures of their very light rider. Are you talking similar motor cc, without nitrous and similar in weight to your current setup?

I agree... Clutch setup, gearing and tires are all new game now a days.

Most use an ass load of nitrous, but a few don't. Noel went a high 1.18 - low 1.22 60's with a 18DMX in a all titanium bike including most fasteners with a very light rider. The nitrous guys don't believe in the clutch tuning, but Noel & Angel do!

I don't even compare any of my set-ups to the PR guy's. As for our current motor/chassis it should run circles around our old set-up for both 60' & ET.

Lots of spray on their big twin and I can agree with those numbers. I saw the first pass of the year at Gilbert back in 08 or so when it ran the 3.29 outta the trailer with lots of spray. . My dispute earlier was that it wouldn't on motor (and on gas). Even if it was not on spray, I don't want to start an argument. I'll be in Gilbert this time tommorrow.

Lots of spray on their big twin and I can agree with those numbers. I saw the first pass of the year at Gilbert back in 08 or so when it ran the 3.29 outta the trailer with lots of spray. . My dispute earlier was that it wouldn't on motor (and on gas). Even if it was not on spray, I don't want to start an argument. I'll be in Gilbert this time tommorrow.

You are getting the motors mix up. Noel's 18 DMX was on alky. My small DMX 643cc is on race gas. My motor hasn't pulled anything close to the PR guys.

I'm sure the bike you are talking about is Superlight & the bike is in Gilbert now. I have nothing to do with that bike, but I did see it in the garage.

As for arguments, I don't care what you think. I've posted my slips, I've seen the runs & slips for the killer 60's. It's being done with different bikes on different tracks. If you choose not to believe it, that's your choice.

Good luck in Gilbert.

Is the 1.18 on motor though? Again. I'm not starting an argument. Also, there was a year at Gilbert where the guard beams were off and I had some slips from then that show awesome 60s. I dont remember what year. Are you coming to Gilbert? I don't expect my 650 bike to be on its game. It used to be bigger and I had it debored to fit and having to run pistons with different pin height and new domes, the domes weren't cut to the builders specs, but it's too late now. Has yet to be even started on alky.

Is the 1.18 on motor though? Again. I'm not starting an argument. Also, there was a year at Gilbert where the guard beams were off and I had some slips from then that show awesome 60s. I dont remember what year. Are you coming to Gilbert? I don't expect my 650 bike to be on its game. It used to be bigger and I had it debored to fit and having to run pistons with different pin height and new domes, the domes weren't cut to the builders specs, but it's too late now. Has yet to be even started on alky.

Yes to motor & multiple times in different lanes with guard beams on. I was hoping to make Gilbert this year, had a good outing last year for our 1st time. Maybe next year, but asphalt is really what we enjoy the most.

If those 60s were put with good mph that would very fast. Guessing the mph was not a lot (as it typically isn't with low 60s as you know). K & Ts triple ran 3.10 with a mid 1.1 60 at 100+ mph. On lots of spray.

Was hoping to see your bike run at Gilbert. Good luck on the asphalt.

We got another set of paddles today. We were going to by a set of AR paddles, but decided against it. We ended up getting 24x11x10 on a 10" wide rim, 74" RO, 16 paddle extremes. The tire has a pretty flat profile & that's what we were looking for. Plus, the weight came in lighter than what we thought 14 lbs. each. We plan on stretching them & hoping to get them around a 75" RO.

Where are we going with this thread in the future:

Going to cover some problems we discovered on the 1st track outing & the changes we're making for the next track session.

Provide ET/MPH changes good or bad on the next outing. I will not give specific changes, other that it ran .10/1 mph (example) quicker or slower than our 1st outing. We are hoping to race May 3,4 & 5 in Kingman, AZ.