Lost a lot of clutch

joey83

Hey guys I finally got my banshee all back together (thanks for all the parts NYUK) and went through the break in etc. Everything looked perfect. Yesterday was the first day I was hitting WOT through all the gears and making it hate it's life and I lost a ton of clutch. When I first started I had to have my cable adjust almost all the way out anyways to get the slack out. I was playing my pasture a few hours later and wasn't riding hard but went to grab the clutch and there's nothing there. The handle flops until it's over half way pulled in. The cable's not broke or anything like that it just has a ton of slop. From half way pulled in to all the way pulled in I have SOME clutch. I'm going to tear it down (again) tonight but looking for expert thoughts. ?? Thanks a lot

Hey guys I finally got my banshee all back together (thanks for all the parts NYUK) and went through the break in etc. Everything looked perfect. Yesterday was the first day I was hitting WOT through all the gears and making it hate it's life and I lost a ton of clutch. When I first started I had to have my cable adjust almost all the way out anyways to get the slack out. I was playing my pasture a few hours later and wasn't riding hard but went to grab the clutch and there's nothing there. The handle flops until it's over half way pulled in. The cable's not broke or anything like that it just has a ton of slop. From half way pulled in to all the way pulled in I have SOME clutch. I'm going to tear it down (again) tonight but looking for expert thoughts. ?? Thanks a lot

sounds like a welded push rod and ball... or the something come loose on the clutch.

Before you tear the clutch apart, check the cable at the lever. I have seen all the strands break except 1 and that 1 strand stretches just before it breaks. As mentioned, probably a problem with the clutch ball or pusher, but it would suck to tear into the clutch and then find out it was just the cable.

Ok thanks guys. The cable is fine, the arm on top of case moves with clutch handle but nothing happens until half way down. Hopefully something simple. It was running really rich out of the bottom end too. I'm gonna pull carbs and check jetting. It originally had a Hot Rods 4mil crank and I cheaped out and put a factory crank back in during rebuild. Are the jet sizes stamped on all the jets? I cleaned carbs since it had been sitting a while and didn't see any jet sizes or numbers stamped.

The engine was toast. The cylinders were already bored .080 over so it now has factory stock cases, crank, and cylinders. Its mostly stock now except fmf pipes and K&N and +4 timing plate and still has the vforce 3 reeds on it. Im guessing jets are going to be pretty close to factory sizes with just the bolt ons.

this happened to guns (ron) he forgot to tighten the big nut with the safty washer under it on the clutch hub

This is what it was. That thing is a little hard to hold while you tighten it so I just bumped it with the impact a couple times and bent the washer over more.