first top end/first leak down test

Zbadboy

I could use some suggestions on ways to prevent intake gaskets from leaking air and also the intake bolts. I just did my first top end/cool head and built a leak down tester. when i went to do my first leak down test i discovered my intake boots had a rip on each side(i had no idea about this so the leak-down test already paid for itself here), so i replaced them with new ones. Now i am going for leak down test number 2, i basically sprayed Windex all over the motor and took it to 6lbs pressure, the Windex works awesomely but all i can see is i have a small air leak around one spark plug and the air leaks around my intake gaskets and intake bolt holes everything else looks to be solid at this point. I am using all new stuff new intake boots and gaskets. So i guess i am wondering what is the best way to plug these leaks? i have a few ideas but before i get started i thought i would through it out hear because i am sure others have faced this. Any advise or remedies would be greatly appreciated.

mine leaked like a mofo too at the intake... I ended up putting some 1211 case sealant EVERYWHERE around the intake... left it cure over night and that did the trick.

PS.... it sucks ass when you need to take it apart.. but it doesnt leak....

yup.....+2 sealant also worked for me goodluck & +10 on the huge pain in the ass if you have to take them apart again

Edited by shakar

Great advise guys thank you, bolts are torqued I will see if possibly I can clean the surfaces but my guess is I will have to use the sealant. I did forget to mention I also have intake/Reed spacers so that many more surfaces involved.

Thanks for the heads up on running the motor and retorqueing, not sure I would have thought to do that but I will now thanks for the heads up. Crossing fingures sealant will stop the leaks.

Great advise guys thank you, bolts are torqued I will see if possibly I can clean the surfaces but my guess is I will have to use the sealant. I did forget to mention I also have intake/Reed spacers so that many more surfaces involved.

Thanks for the heads up on running the motor and retorqueing, not sure I would have thought to do that but I will now thanks for the heads up. Crossing fingures sealant will stop the leaks.

Ya just use a light coat of sealant, maybe some high temp RTV.

Thanks guys just got done with sealent on the intakes. Got some ultra black permatex say maximum oil resistance and high temp rtv silicone hope this shit does the trick going to let it set up until tomarrow for my next leak down test.

Thanks guys you all have been fantastic with advise I appreciate it very much.

Yamabond, light coat only on the finger tips and run your gasket through your thumb and index finger to coat both sides. Test a day later and problem solved. Also, where did you get your gaskets, I had a cheap set from eBay that leaked real bad, didn't matter how much sealant you put on them, they leaked. Had Jeff at FAST send me a set and it will hold 6 psi for hours now.

Awwwhh shit the gaskets might be the problem then because these are cheap ones from eBay. Damn now I'm stressed about leak down test tomarrow, might have just been the cheap gaskets.

You know what they say, this definately is not the sport for "cheap ones." Hope it works out for you though.