1st Attempt at painting plastics

BIGONTS

I had a set laying around that looked terrible and figured I try to paint them with the Krylon fusion paint that everyone is talking about. Painted them a simple gloss white to hide all the scratches and decided to paint some graphics to live'n them up a bit. All spray paint and some tape. Wanted to see how the front came out before I painted the rest. The colors are actually darker and looks a bit bright and rainbowish because it was really sunny out then taking the pictures. Will paint the rest now and throw some clear on them. I don't belive they will be that durable and figured I only throw them on when I go to the dunes.

gallery_21717_1932_35999.jpg

gallery_21717_1932_16454.jpg

gallery_21717_1932_45497.jpg

gallery_21717_1932_110358.jpg

Edited by BIGONTS

looks like it came out pretty good. Def a funky design lol. And your right the paint isn't too rugged and prob won't hold to well if it gets hit with a rock or what no. but if you take it easy should last. My buddy was behind me on his banshee last year all plastic painted, i through a rock up with the tires and peeled a 6inch or better piece of paint off the nose of his bike.

looks like it came out pretty good. Def a funky design lol. And your right the paint isn't too rugged and prob won't hold to well if it gets hit with a rock or what no. but if you take it easy should last. My buddy was behind me on his banshee last year all plastic painted, i through a rock up with the tires and peeled a 6inch or better piece of paint off the nose of his bike.

Thanks, wanted to try something differrent from what I usually see on here, even though I dig most of them: traibal, flames, lines, etc.. Gonna try to get another set and paint another scheme with a black base. I'm hoping the clear will help a lil bit and I won't be taking these plastics on any trails.

Definitely a design ive never seen but looks good. Im painting mine all black here soon. How was the prep?

Even though these were white to begin with, they were a PITA to prep. Only because someone painted them yellow and they sat outside in my yard for 2 years. Sandpaper or powerwashing would not get the yellow paint off. Had to use stripper for plastic bumper from O'Reilly's. If they weren't painted, I would just cleaned them up good with Simple Green and the red scuff pad, dry and clean with contact cleaner and paint. No primer necessary per Krylon's instructions.

I was on the fence to paint these black with a similar scheme in yellow/green, Monster type theme, but considered the condition of these. If they chipped, it would really look like crap with the white underneath. Now, I probably won't be noticeable too much if they chip. Going to try to do black ones next.

Those looks real good. I have seen a lot of guys on here going to the krylon fusion and it is really tempting me instead of going the $500 route of new plastics.

I like how you just went crazy with all sorts of colors, that looks really good. I just recently sprayed my plastics with krylon fusion, it seems to hold up pretty good so far. The prep work is really the key, I spent hours and hours scuffing and sanding my plastics but the outcome is great.

The krylon fusion paint is great stuff . They have a blue called " Patriot " Blue that is damn near identical to Yamaha Blue . My old blaster had the shittiest plastics . The Original blue had been covered with : White , Yellow , Green , Red , Yellow and finally Black .

It was a GD mess . Use plastic stripper , sanded from 180 to 2000 ( wet ) then used the fusion , and a flat clear and they looked Good !!!

I'm using the Fusion matte black on my shee , it's almost done.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Trying to get the rest done, but can't get good weather here in Chicago to paint them. Prefer 70 degrees+ They are all taped off and ready to go. Hopefully this weekend. Any recommendations on the clear?

Here's an updated on how I get everything taped out and how it's going to look. The blue tank cover will be a mix of white, yellow, etc. to contrast the white fender pieces. Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.

gallery_21717_1932_51715.jpg

gallery_21717_1932_44457.jpg

gallery_21717_1932_24144.jpg

Edited by BIGONTS