Sprocket Size?

I want to change my sprocket size, i dont really know what size i have, but what would be the best size for the banshee to take off faster and have more power taking off?

and how can i check my sprocket size?

Count your teeth that are on each sprocket.....stock is 14/41. It depends a lot more on other things than just how hard you want to launch.....like your weight...the ground surface/traction your getting, the length of your swinger, the power your motor outputs, and how good you are at hitting that back brake when the front comes up too much. If your not used to it you would want to slowly change......cause if you went from stock gearing to something closer to say 12/44 your not gonna go too fast at the top speed.....but you're definitely gonna find out how good you are at wheelies....

• Like 1

Count your teeth that are on each sprocket.....stock is 14/41. It depends a lot more on other things than just how hard you want to launch.....like your weight...the ground surface/traction your getting, the length of your swinger, the power your motor outputs, and how good you are at hitting that back brake when the front comes up too much. If your not used to it you would want to slowly change......cause if you went from stock gearing to something closer to say 12/44 your not gonna go too fast at the top speed.....but you're definitely gonna find out how good you are at wheelies....

Since 12/44 is good for wheelies, what would be better for top speed?

• 1 month later...

Its a give and take. You want top speed or a quick acceleration? Its not that its good for wheelies its that it's a quick acceleration. If you want to go faster its gonna be a slower acceleration. Stock is a good ratio. Are you building a drag bike or a land speed record bike?

A regular bike to ride around in,

so stock would be good for higher top speed?

or what would you recommend

If you want fast acceleration go a smaller front sprocket tooth count, if you want top end speed go a lager front sprocket tooth count. you can also play with the rear sprocket and its exactly the opposite from the front sprocket (less teeth=higher top speeds and more teeth=higher acceleration). tire size also plays a large roll in your speed. I have 18 inch tires in the back of my banshee and had bought it with the stock rear sprocket (41 tooth if i remember) and a 12 tooth front sprocket. I HATED IT!!!! I never used 1st gear at all and topped out wayyyy to fast cause of the small tires and lower front sprocket tooth count. Just installed a 17 tooth front sprocket and the new chain just came in today so im really excited to feel the difference!!!

Since 12/44 is good for wheelies, what would be better for top speed?

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/10/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jpurple said:

I have 17,40 and I’m about to put 15,40 will I lose a lot of my top speed?

If your engine was able to top out with 17/40, then yes.

You can use this calculator. You can look at the dyno section to find a combo close to yours to see how much rpm yours pulls.

https://www.bansheehq.com/gearing.php