tz and max load bearings

BLOODRAGE

what does a photo of a failed beaing prove ? absolutely nothin. many failures can be traced back to the operator in some way. we need the entire story to even have a chance of determining if it was a failure of the bearing or failure of the operator or failure of some other internal part that caused a chain reaction to the bearing. was it overloaded with power and trq ? was the rpm ceiling exceeded ? did it have sufficient lubrication ? was it side loaded when the cases were assembled? detontation could have jack hammered it apart. the list is endless as to what could of happened. then theres the remote chance the bearing just had a factory flaw. i posted a link that showed many instances where caged ball bearings were failing, and my theory is because they were put under to much load. and the reason i have that theory is because a roller bearing was issued as its replacement. maybe you just exceeded its breaking point some how and should have used a different kind of bearing ? im confident skf is every bit as good as anything else on the market but use what ever you feel comfortable with. if your piston seizes dont go back to wiseco crying. i think you get the point

bike was a stock port stock stroke turdsammich with t5's running on castor927. no idea why it failed but once was enough for me. notice it was the stator side too. sure it could have been a 1 in a million chance but i cant recommend anyone run one.

Again spend a little time in a bearing catalog. i said what i did for the reason. also as far as the price difference, its negligible so theres no reason not to get the good shit the first time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I am building a 10mil trail motor with maybe 80hp.

I was seriously considering using just the stock bearings should I be worried?

Define stock bearing... Max load on clutch side at a min is what I was recommended. Are you running Helical Gears or Straight Cuts?

Talk to the builder you are getting your crank from. That is always recommended.

Adam

Define stock bearing... Max load on clutch side at a min is what I was recommended. Are you running Helical Gears or Straight Cuts?

Talk to the builder you are getting your crank from. That is always recommended.

Adam

Was planning on straight cuts and the stock bearings, but stock I mean um stock lol

What are they 7 ball or something I think. Straight cuts are killing me- they are so expensive for what you get.

• 1 year later...

tz the drive side.  you will be fine..

i have a tz in my 535 with straight cut/ hinson spring loaded basket.  the bearing is not stressed in or out  it has been running hard as hell for over 5 years now.  and i dont pussy foot it  it gets beat on.

run tz/ roller style on ALL the larger builds and hell even most 350's anymore.  usually run max or the 8 ball'z on the flywheel side.. most of those are running the helical stock style drive gears. 

i have seen bearings on both sides fail but after removing the crank most of the cranks were WAY out of factory specs for true.  and most were seperating.  that has to put side load on the bearing pretty hard..   i think i have a few pics of one of them  hell it split the cage right down the middle.  that was a cool one!

so for a sumary.  my personal experience is  use a roler on the drive side, use a larger pto bearing.  and make sure your center bearings are nice and tight and the crank's runouot is very spot on.  

• 7 years later...

2Hp9qA7.jpg

u2AFMBd.jpg

keeping the thread alive even though ive posted this to my build thread. poor tz. it sat on a shelf for about 11 years untill i mustard up the balls to open up the cases. well here it is. i advise staying far away from this bearing. just my opinion.

Beginning late 2006 due to light detonation at the stripe and cracking the outer races of two different brand ball bearings I started running NTN TZ's on both ends of my 1/4 mile alcohol cub cranks (with straight cuts). I've always done yearly tear down inspection/rebuilds and every single time I end up replacing the TZ's because of brown coloring which I assumed was heat generated from roller skid. I've not run for a few years now but if I ever go back I'm going with 8 ball Koyo. The TZ's are rugged but they have a lot higher rolling resistance and just can't take the quick acceleration and sustained 11,000+ rpm of our drag motors.     

On 6/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, Tedder said:

Beginning late 2006 due to light detonation at the stripe and cracking the outer races of two different brand ball bearings I started running NTN TZ's on both ends of my 1/4 mile alcohol cub cranks (with straight cuts). I've always done yearly tear down inspection/rebuilds and every single time I end up replacing the TZ's because of brown coloring which I assumed was heat generated from roller skid. I've not run for a few years now but if I ever go back I'm going with 8 ball Koyo. The TZ's are rugged but they have a lot higher rolling resistance and just can't take the quick acceleration and sustained 11,000+ rpm of our drag motors.     

did u use c3 ? otherwise it should  be good to atleast 14k so over speeding i dont think was a problem. is the yellow cages brass? i used the plastic ones on other engines and never was any trouble

just wondering. why were you using a different bearing on both sides ?  normally when the inner race has to be pressed on a shaft and the outer bearing is pressed in a bore or has a clamping force applied, c3 is preferable as there likely wont be sufficient clearance between inner race/rollers/outer race. i could see the 305e skidding rollers if it wasnt c3