Crankshaft Rebuild Walkthrough

BansheeDFW

• 4 weeks later...

I have since found a way to easily remove the bearings. I have a shop press where I can easily press the components on and off. What I need now is the fixture to assure the crank is in proper phase. Obviously I could have one machined. I was hoping to find one online without spending a fortune. Anyone know where i could pick up one??

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

ive done some pretty highend fitting and machining, high tolerance stuff and even with access to all the gear i think i would still pay the guy that has done it a thousand times to do it for me lol

Can't argue with that. Always nice to have someone else's finger prints on it last so when shit breaks you can play the blame game

Send me the prints on these tools so I can manufacture them and offer to the world! Awesome work!

you realize how many cranks would turn into garbage with every average joe trying to rebuild them. you could never buy a used crank again. As much as i would love to buy a set its not a good idea to make these for the masses

all i will say is if it was off 3 degree's that's too much.. think about how critical igniton timing is on gas motors.  

i spent a ton of time setting up a press fixture for the phasing part of it.   if you dig enough you will find the tooling that some shops can buy.  it involves some precision centering and press plates.   i made one working off the outside of the webbing and the centerline of the pins.  and also used a die style press setup.  then made a jig that checks the phase from one side to the other using a special set of blocks i built and ground to exacting specs.   i enjoy building jigs and tooling really..  but so far i think i have about 4 days in jig parts. 

the readily available crank tooling is about 1000 bucks.  BUT it wont work on some banshee cranks due to them not having a centering pin setup. 

• 7 months later...

I recently bought centering press blocks for phasing two n three cylinder cranks I'm waiting on extra cash for a press set up , bought the tooling off a second hand jet ski shop owner for 50 buck he had no idea how much was invested in the set up originally, I know the original owner who passed away and designed tooling , diffrent size collars for diffrent pin sizes I can do a lot with it . My good friend used to build all his cranks so now I need a lesson on crank building and need to find press shims to account for side play on rods. He has a sun in boring bar also that hasn't been touched since my friend died, I'm waiting for another crack binge of his to scoop it up

I recently bought centering press blocks for phasing two n three cylinder cranks I'm waiting on extra cash for a press set up , bought the tooling off a second hand jet ski shop owner for 50 buck he had no idea how much was invested in the set up originally, I know the original owner who passed away and designed tooling , diffrent size collars for diffrent pin sizes I can do a lot with it . My good friend used to build all his cranks so now I need a lesson on crank building and need to find press shims to account for side play on rods. He has a sun in boring bar also that hasn't been touched since my friend died, I'm waiting for another crack binge of his to scoop it up

If I send you wheels, bearings, and rod/pin kits how much to push it all together?