whats the easiest way to increase horsepower

I am curious as to what I can do that isn't too expensive but will improve the power and performance of my banshee

Nitrous... come on man can't you search a little? There is so much information on this site it should keep you occupied for days.

Power: Pipes, pods, carburetors, porting, strokers, timing advance, alcohol, reeds, displacement increase...

performance: clutches, shift mods, a-arms, swing arms, shocks, tires, chain/sprockets....

My banshee is just stock and I kno that all that stuff works I was hoping someone might be able to kind of point me in the right directions cause I'm not rich and can't afford to spend thousands right now and I'm not sure what to start off doing. I wanted to get some exhaust but someone told me aftermarket exhaust shortens the life of my cylinders

Pipes, jetting, K&N-style filter and filter adapter kit (doesn't have to be K&N, there are much cheaper brands such as the Vito's kit for $40), adjustable billet timing plate set at +4, those are the basics. Afterwards you could get porting done and be pushing out some pretty big numbers and all on stock carbs. Move up to bigger carbs and watch the power go out the roof. Of course it's going to sound boring but horsepower is no good if you can't get it to the ground so you may look at suspension mods too.

You can do the timing plate mod for free. It's a sticky here some where. After that it's going to cost.

Air filter/air box mod is cheap, will add a little. Used pipes can be had cheap, I picked up a set of FMF for $35, needed work& paint. All depends on budget and what you desire it to look like when you're done.

Speed is only limited by cubic dollars. :cheers:

My banshee is just stock and I kno that all that stuff works I was hoping someone might be able to kind of point me in the right directions cause I'm not rich and can't afford to spend thousands right now and I'm not sure what to start off doing. I wanted to get some exhaust but someone told me aftermarket exhaust shortens the life of my cylinders

IMHO throwing some bolt ons will not shorten the life of your cylinders.

Just start out with some basic bolt ons like, pipes, filters, cool head, reeds, +4 timing...etc. Make sure you properly jet with any mod that changes air/fuel. Going from a 100% stock banshee, to a basic bolt on banshee you will be amazed.

Lack of maintainence is probably the biggest engine killer. Engines wear out , plain and simple. A set of pipes with power peak at 10 grand or so will wear quicker than a low-mid set of pipes. If you ride around in low gear revved to the moon it will wear quicker than if you just run it up thru the gears no matter what the set-up.

Someone strickly drag racing or hill shooting probably tears it down at least once a season to check for worn parts because they are closer to the edge. John Force gets a new engine after four seconds of running.

:cheers:

MY recipe has always been: better filter, pipes, bump the timing, more compression by either cutting and chambering the stock head or going with a cool head, in that order. You could do the timing and compression mods fairly cheap first, BUT anything more than that you need to get a set of pipes so you can get more air in and out of the engine. Pipes DO NOT shorten cylinder life, but the fact that the bike will be ridden harder will cause more wear on the entire bike if it is not properly maintained. After you do the initial set of mods I mentioned, you will want to port the cylinders and improve your reeds-my bike has ported reed cages with Boyesen reeds. Until you start increasing displacement you don't need to go to a carb that is bigger than 28mm= on my bike I just had the stockers bored out from 26mm to 28mm. Also, you will not see any major power increase from boring the cylinders bigger- if you see a power increase from dong that, it means your top end was tired and the power is coming from having rings that seal and better compression. If you make a big jump in bore size, like from 64mm to 66mm or bigger, you will see an increase, but not from the usual cleanup bore. Also, the cheapest power increaser is to make sure your bike is PROPERLY maintained, lubed and jetted.

x7 on the advanced timing. If you still have a stock stator, just hog the bolt hole out so their egg shaped as much as you can. Thats what i did. Im at about +4 advanced. It wont make insaine noticable power. But will increase throttle responce and you will find it pulls harder in 5th and 6th.