Issues finding right rear shock

Killerrudy

I have a 98 banshee frame stuffed with a 07 cbr600rr engine. +4 swing. I am having issues with the fuel tank which is under the seat making contact with the sprocket in the rear. I started with a Eibach 750lb spring upgrade in the rear and adjusted the compression all the way firm. But the stock shock would bottom out under anything more than half throttle. that is sucking the tail down about 7 inches to make contact. I was thinking about trying marvin Shaws under the back, but ran across a deal on a works rear shock(remote res) shock. Said it was set up for +6 and 180 rider. I weigh 190 and have the +4. Thoughts? Suggestions? Think it might work? Don't get it till next week.

Edited by Killerrudy

a heavier spring can only go so far. i'd say your shock is going in need of a re-valve for the added weight and the longer swing arm.

Agreed. An aftermarket shock will definitely be easier to get dialed in. You might need a heavier spring, or, on a works shock, you can just crank down the proload and try and get more out of it that way. What type of riding do you do? Here's the problem I see. You're going to punch a hole in the bottom of that tank if it's not set up right.

Well luckily the part that makes contact is the steel band that I have around the rear of the tank for support. No part of the tank can hit the swingarm. I do mostly dune riding. I was able to go out and mess around. I just couldn't get on it. Over half throttle and it bottoms out in the rear. Even on the flats. Up the hill I couldn't do half because of the little woops. Hopefully the works is a lot closer than the stock and if needbe I can just throw the eibach spring on the works. (Assuming it is a higher rate)

Well luckily the part that makes contact is the steel band that I have around the rear of the tank for support. No part of the tank can hit the swingarm. I do mostly dune riding. I was able to go out and mess around. I just couldn't get on it. Over half throttle and it bottoms out in the rear. Even on the flats. Up the hill I couldn't do half because of the little woops. Hopefully the works is a lot closer than the stock and if needbe I can just throw the eibach spring on the works. (Assuming it is a higher rate)

You won't be able to use to eibach spring on the works rear. Odds are the works spring will be a smaller diameter, and longer. Get that works on there, and report back!

i did a conversion with a heavy ass zx900r motor in a shee frame with a +6 swing arm and the tank under the rear seat also, we used an air shock off of a kawasaki kz600 and its fully adjustable with how much air is how stiff you want it and it also has a rebound adjustment, just a thought for ya