whats the Best deisel truck?

captainhowdie

2004.5-2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9L turbo diesel. If you get one with an auto trans you need to put an aftermarket torque converter in it. Stay away from the 6.7L cummins motor.

Edited by Snopczynski

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why everyone thinks the interior on a dodge feels cheap. I like my 06 alot. I used to drive duramax's at work all the time and while the ride was nice, the interiors would fall apart and they squat like a little bitch with a load on. I'm not a fan of ford interiors. And to the comment of a truck that won't last the first 100,000. Mine is at 115,000 and rides like new. No rattles and is in damned good shape for pounding up and down 30 miles of shit road to the dunes and towing sled trailers around all winter.

6.0 Ford diesel is junk around 130-150k.....7.3 is a real good engine...But Cummins 5.9 has been around for awhile...Should be good up to 300k is properly maintained....Don't know much on the Duramax...Except there made by Isuzu...Buddies mom has a dually with D-Max an a chip...Fucker will haul the mail!

Again, you should post up what your plans are for the truck. If you are planing on keeping the engine stock, then really any of the big three should do you fine. However as everyone has mentioned the Powerstroke 6.0 are hit and miss, and when you do get a miss it will leave you stranded and/or lots of money spent to repair. The 6.4 Engines aren't as bad problem wise, but they still have their problems. Really if you go with any engine/truck combo you will have pros and cons, IMO. The older automatics used behind the Cummins are pretty crummy if not built up. However if you don't mind spending the money, a built up automatic goes a LONG way. Fords Torque-Shift transmissions are a great tranny, granted they are only a 5 speed compared to the 6 speed Allison. But just like any other transmission, neither the Torque-Shift nor the Allison are invincible to problems once you start moding the engine.

First off the 7.3's are slow, even chipped and built with a built tranny. Not to mention the ride is crap, it's all bouncy, and I swear the steering on those trucks are like 10 turns lock to lock. To me they just feel crappy all around. As far as tranny's go, I think you can have problems with all of them. My dad had a 2001 ram with 200,000 on it and the fucker never had any problems. Body was solid, motor of course ran strong, and even the stock tranny was still pulling strong. And those were all hard miles, as the truck was always loaded or towing. I personally have had to tow two chevy's both with the allison in them because there "bulletproof" transmissions went out. So in reality all will have ups and downs

First off the 7.3's are slow, even chipped and built with a built tranny. Not to mention the ride is crap, it's all bouncy, and I swear the steering on those trucks are like 10 turns lock to lock. To me they just feel crappy all around. As far as tranny's go, I think you can have problems with all of them. My dad had a 2001 ram with 200,000 on it and the fucker never had any problems. Body was solid, motor of course ran strong, and even the stock tranny was still pulling strong. And those were all hard miles, as the truck was always loaded or towing. I personally have had to tow two chevy's both with the allison in them because there "bulletproof" transmissions went out. So in reality all will have ups and downs

Exactly, there are always going to be failures and problems with the Big 3. Just depends that if you go with a certain engine, you will probably have more problems than the other. Same with the trannies once you start moding the engines. As far as the 7.3's go, you can make them quick just takes a lot of work to do it. I just watched an old 7.3 at the Drag's in Ohio do pretty damn well, he was quick :headbang: But as I've been saying, all we know this fella could be wanting to keep his engine stock, or just add a bit of performance for fuel mileage. If mod factors come into play, it's a completely different ball game.

I love my 01 dodge, but as stated these are million mile motors in 100k chassis. I just had to do all the ball joints on mine and I'm only at 93k. One other potential problem with the older dodges is they have had issues with the lift pumps going out.

ford are roomy but the 6.0 are riddled with problems

The 6.0 Only has problems if its not taken care of, OR if a tuner is installed and used HARD without other mods.

We own one, we also have a tuner and i haven't done any other mods (mainly im too lazy to out head studs in), but it doesn't get driven like a sports car.

6.0 Ford diesel is junk around 130-150k.

Ours has 160k on it and there is nothing wrong with it at the moment, we got it with a dieing FICM ($1200), (previous owner let the batteries die)

I love the interior of our 05, NICE leather and all that other good stuff, get one and take care of it, change the oil and ALWAYS use a fuel and oil addative, never let the batteries run low, if they do fully charge them before running the truck, drive it hard every now and again (to clean out the shit in the EGR and turbo).

Despite all the taboo of the 6.0 I say go for it, just don't buy one with problems. because injectors are 1500+ a FICM is 1200+ head gaskets A FUCKING LOT+

well lets not forget that the there is more 7.3's in use then all the others combined and if you take notice most of your bigger companys use fords must be a reason, well i know the reason i worked for one, the guys that drive them dont own them they just beat them all day every day. and they did try the dodges and gmc/chev because of the pos 6.0 and the dodges and gmc would not hold up losts of stupid shit gets broke. so when they did need a truck they would find a low milage 7.3. dont know what they are doing now dont work there anymore. but as far as the gmc/chev i just cant see buying a american truck with a jap motor, my buddy and i talk shit to each other (he started it) and he will start it up when we are in a group like hanging out at the dunes and when i herd enough i just say yea the max is fast but just could not bring my self to buy a jap powerd truck then he dont say no more. but dont know if he has had any trouble with his max dont think he would say anything if he did. as far as mine goes i pull a 15k toy hauler with it truck is only rated for 13k and im coming up on 250k did replace the trans at 212k and a front hub but the hub was out when i bought it and glow plugs at 230k alternator, and a idel pully and thats it.

what i know about all the newer ones dont think i will be getting one, dodge is still useing the 6.7 with its masive egr system and they are having trouble with the dpf pluging up (large egr sysytem on disel motors is not good) so now ford and gmc/chev is going to the def system. its not the big 3's fault is the tree huggers fault.

if i do give in and go the def route then ford becaue at least i know there was no harm to tax payers in the making of it.

I dont personally have one, but have buddies with all them them. I like the Duramax the best, chevy has the best interior and most comfort. My dodge has a lot of interior rattles.

12 valve cummins all the way

there kinda like a banshee you gotta tune em in not just buy parts plus they are cheap to mod/repair

all the newer diesels have too much emissions shit and more fragile injection setups

new diesels are like the new 4 stroke quads very nice but expensive and you dont even gotta pop the hood to get one to to run pretty good just plug and play so if you like that kinda shit not for me though

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

The 7.3 is a good work truck motor if you dont mod past a chip