HJR Porting...Initial Report

dajogejr

The HJR dune ported 4 mill dyno'd at 60HP? That was more than yours or you stomped him? Do you know what his setup was? I just dyno'd my T5 bike that I ported at 55.7HP without tuning and too big 20cc domes (instead of the 18's that just showed up from David @ NOSS).

I hear great stuff from a lot of people about Kevin's work!

mines never been on a dyno... i dont care i go by seat of the pants.. like i said thought it was gonna be a good race actually i was kinda worried i was gonna get smoked..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mines never been on a dyno... i dont care i go by seat of the pants.. like i said thought it was gonna be a good race actually i was kinda worried i was gonna get smoked..

No, I totally agree with you in most regards. I've done all of my tuning prior just by looking at plugs and paying close attention when I was riding. I can tell you however, my 50.6HP pass sounded the same as the 55.7HP pass. However, when you looked at the curves, there was a huge difference. Sorry, I'll stop now, I don't want to hijack the thread.

you passion guys can go suck a nut... im just stating my experience from riding and racing a hjr 4mil dune motr.. not let this become a passion/hjr rd 1...

I can promise you it won't become a HJR vs. anyone thread.

I like riding in the dunes, but I love the track.

Lights and timers tell the story...not a dyno and a flagged start.

(No offense to other dune racers, I'm just saying)

Cub run out of the box, everyone knows that. I was looking for a tenth or so from porting, I got that...and probably a bit more.

For the price, service and turn around time I'm very, very happy.

Its going to be a interesting year for us MI guys. We have ALOT of 10mils being built by several differnt builders. And the bikes should all be setup very close to one another. Were all close enough friends that we dont mind each other hoping on someones bike for a few passes to see what they do.

But I agree with Dave. Track times are where its at. Too many excuses in the dunes. At a track, You can see the results in black and white after ea pass.

Good to hear that you got it together and its running for you. I'm excited to see what you can do with it this year. I'm just a phone call away for any questions or concerns. Have fun with it and have a safe race season.

Dave, did your mph pick up much as i would have thought your times would pick up more than .03- .1 tenths. Glad your happy with it but with your major air leak you told me you had with those Boss intakes, (prolly picked up a a tenth right there by fixing that !?), Drag porting the Cubs, AND porting the cases, dont you think it should have been more? :confused:

Possible...

Like I said, the intakes could've been leaking all last year...but since I never checked them, I can't say for sure.

It wasn't a MAJOR air leak, it was enough to rev up a little after a run...and if it was leaking all last year, the pistons and cylinders still looked good as a result. That's why I'm not sure. Hundreds of passes and the bike held together great.

So...you know as well as I do, if it was leaking, it couldn't have been too bad.

I'm still not coming off the line as hard as I did last year...I need to get my 60's down. Once I get the bottom to middle cleaned up...I know it's got more in it.

I only made about 8 or 10 passes. The last 3-4 passes were really shiners.

You gotta think, I ran consistent .30s for the last two years. I could sneak a .20 in now and then.

I only made a few passes compared to normal.

Realistically, from porting alone, I'm only looking for a tenth. I'm there. And I've still got some tuning to do.

I still believe you can't get a TON more out of them...by a ton I mean a few tenths on porting alone.

That's another reason I'm still in the stock chassis...to keep all that the same.

So did your mph change much?