Adjustible timing install / Flywheel Removal

magz

How to install an Adjustible timing plate.

• Tools needed: Cresent Wrench, Wrenchs, Sockets, Wrachet,Impact, Impact screw driver and #2 screw driver, Adjustible strap wrench. Flywheel puller
  • DO NOT USE A 3 JAW PULLER EVER. OR ANY OTHER DEVICE BESIDES WHAT IS RECOMMENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Remove:
    Taking off the foot peg and nerf bar will be required. Aswell as the shifter then remove all 7 bolts holding the left side case on
    flywheelcovercopyuq2.jpg
  • Remove:
    The nut holding the flywheel on with the impact you may or may not need the hold the flywheel with a strap wrench or your hand
    cheapimpactcopyys8.jpg
  • Remove:
    The Flywheel its self now. You need the flywheel puller. if you have the correct tool for this job the entire job will take you no more then 30 minutes. You need to clean all the threads on the flywheel and puller as best you can with a soft brush of some sort if you can. then apply grease to the threads on the puller and the fly wheel aswell as the tip of the crank shaft where the puller will be pushing on it. So now attempt to thread the flywheel puller on but remember it is reverse threaded. so spin it on counter-clock-wise. untill snug then with a cresent snug it on a little better if possible. hold the flywheel puller with the cresent wrench and use the impact to pull the flywheel off. when the fly wheel pops off the key generally falls into the magnetic part of the inside.
    flywheelitsselfcopykg4.jpg
    4threadsremainedcopyti0.jpg
    flywheeltakenoffcopyuv1.jpg
  • Loosen:
    Loosen the 3 screws holding the stator to the timing plate, then loosen the 3 screw holding the timing plate to the case.
    boltsholdingcopyrq5.jpg
  • Remove:
    The 3 bolts holding the stators on now then remove the 3 bolts holding the timing plate on, there will be two small bolts the wires on the back remove those also of course. then grab your new timing plate and reverse everything youve done up to this point. locktite all 6 screws back in and adjust your timing plate to the crack in the case for the timing line.
    timingplatesetatplus5coty4.jpg
    NOTE: Most people recommend +4 Timing as do I
  • Install:
    The flywheel back on. put the key back into the spot where it came and put the flywheel back on carefully. press it on as best you can then use the impact and tighten the bolt back on which will tighten the flywheel into place. You will need to set the timing gap so rotate the flywheel to the raise notch and adjust the pick-up to about a buisness cards thickness between the notch and pick up or .016-.020
  • Install:
    Now your pretty much done. put the case back on and the foot peg and kick it over make sure it starts and runs good sounds good and your pretty much done, take the peg off put the shifter on and put everything back together and go have fun! the job should have taken between 15-45 minutes depending on your skill.

Well I Hope this helps some people. its an easy job. Alot easier then it sounds and people make it out to be harder.

PLEASE PLEASE Contact jeff( FASTOYS ) at FARM AND SAND TOYS for the flywheel remover and adjustible timing plates. or PM

Edited by magz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to add to this, I would never impact the puller, it will almost always snap the puller. Tighten down with a wrench then tap lightly with a soft blow mallet. I have ruined quite a few pullers trying to impact them. I know they say not to bang on any part of the flywheel, but an impact rarely works.

Edited by Tim Potteiger

Just to add to this, I would never impact the puller, it will almost always snap the puller. Tighten down with a wrench then tap lightly with a soft blow mallet. I have ruined quite a few pullers trying to impact them. I know they say not to bang on any part of the flywheel, but an impact rarely works.

worked on the 6 flywheels iv pulled, then again i keep it lubricated real well and free of any particles. guess im just "lucky"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I want to remove my flywheel and put an adjustable timing plate.

I don't have an impact wrench so I have to loosen the bolt with a normal wrench.

So i want to make a tool that fit in the outer holes of the flywheel so i can hold it when i turn the bolt.

Can someone please give me the dimensions of the holes (how far they are apart and the diameter of the holes) so i can make this tool, i am at work right now so i don't have the oppurtunity to go at home and measure my flywheel.

Thanks in advance

Fred

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...