Best tire/wheel size for mostly trail riding

Rocco

I have searched through the board and I have yet to come up with a definitive answer on this question. I do about 90% trail riding and I was wondering what wheel and tire size I should go with for both the front and rear. I am looking to have some decent clearance as rocks and stumps and such do come across my path, but at the same time I want something aggressive that I can slide out and provide the performance that I need. Im most likely going with some holeshot xc's or maxxis razr2's. I could really use the help here as I don

Edited by Rocco

If you are concerned with rocks and stumps, get the 22 inch rears and the 23 fronts. I run 22-11-9 razr2's rear and 23-7-10 fronts. My buddies run same size but holeshots. The extra clearance is nice. a lot of guys are going to tell you not to because they are heavy, and that is true, but i will give a little up for the clearance. It just works where we ride. I would also drop a tooth on front sprocket if you step up to the 22s.

If you are concerned with rocks and stumps, get the 22 inch rears and the 23 fronts. I run 22-11-9 razr2's rear and 23-7-10 fronts. My buddies run same size but holeshots. The extra clearance is nice. a lot of guys are going to tell you not to because they are heavy, and that is true, but i will give a little up for the clearance. It just works where we ride. I would also drop a tooth on front sprocket if you step up to the 22s.

x2 for the clearance, but i have a set 22x12x9 pur sport dominator's for my shee and i dont find them that bad to ride compared to 20's with the same gearing ..

Edited by monster_energy06

Thanks for the responses guys, all are very helpful. Im not sure which direction I am going to take this, but I will be ordering this week. I had another question about offset, do you guys run a different offset to get the tires out a little wider and make the bike more stable? Or is this overkill in trails where this can pose problems with fitting between trees and such.

Thanks

Rocco

• Like 1

I'm still running stock size tires and gearing on my shee but I have 21x7x10's and 22x11x10's (hole shots) on my 88 LT-250r and the ground clearance is nice. I'm still running stock gearing on that to but I have the power to turn them and its nice to not have to shift all the time and a nice long wind up threw the gears instead of quick shifts. I mostly trail ride myself. Hope that helps a little bit