Looking at buying a banshee

Matt05

Hey guys, I'm looking at trading my stock 2005 predator for a 2004 Banshee. It is the white with red frame. It has T5s and a K&N filter. First of all what do I need to look for when looking at buying a used banshee? I have no idea, I've never really done anything 2 stroke so please help me out. Also how is riding a 2 stroke going to differ from a 4 stroke. I have a few friends who are telling me I won't like it and it will be way different, but I don't know what all the downsides and upsides would be. And finally if I do buy it, what are some nice things to have around to make owning a banshee easier. Like how do you guys measure your oil for your gas and everything, what do you use. Sorry if I sound retarded, but I've wanted a banshee for a long time, and used to look around on here a lot more, but have forgotten a lot. Please teach me whatever you can.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I would take a look at the air filter and see what it looks like. How dirty it looks could be a tell-tale sign of neglected maintenance. Also the case, make sure there are no cracks, maybe from a broken chain.

As for the difference in 2 and 4 strokes, there is quite a bit. The smoker makes less torque, but makes up for it in mid and top end power. There are quite a bit of aftermarket upgrades to give it more bottom-end power, however. It really comes down to personnel preference though. there is definitely nothing else like the rush of a screaming 2-stroke coming on the pipe!

As far as mixing, I just put 3.2 gallons of gas in a can and add a bottle of oil. (yamalube 2r at 24/1 ratio) Most go with 32/1, but I run factory recommended just to be on the safe side. Maybe a little too rich.

See my friend thinks that they don't like to be run real hard for long period of time and what not, I've ridden 4 strokes enough I think and I'd like to ride something different. Its got T5 pipes on it too, which I know are pretty good, anything I should look at on those?

Keep the info coming, its great.

See my friend thinks that they don't like to be run real hard for long period of time and what not, I've ridden 4 strokes enough I think and I'd like to ride something different. Its got T5 pipes on it too, which I know are pretty good, anything I should look at on those?

Keep the info coming, its great.

Man thats totally not true...Back when I had my other Banshee all of my friends had big 4wds and I stayed with them everywhere they went, just had to drive smarter and not get high centered. Yeah they do need air flow to keep them cool so if I ever did get stuck I wouldnt just sit there and rev the piss out of it for a long period of time. I used to ride the piss out of mine and Im sure the guys here do to. I still do some serious riding for hours at a time riding as fast as possible. Good luck, I personally think you are making a good decision. Ive had 4 strokes 2 btw.

I dont personally have T5s but there are a lot of guys who do. About the only thing you can look for on pipes I think are cracks, sratches, and rust from not doing up keep.

Come on guys, Help this guy out...Most of you know way more than I do. He wants to be a banshee owner, give him some reasons why...

I just bought my first Banshee last weekend and I haven't ridden it long yet. Round the yard, starting it up every night. I went over every nut and bolt checking it out. Overall the design gets two thumbs up. Not too top heavy, not too narrow and the rear shock angle and swing arm length spell PULL. This thing will be one rippin ride. Even though its my wife's I plan on buying one for myself soon. I have to sell off my other bikes though. THat'll be the deal. I can let the RM go, but my 88CR will be real difficult. I go way back on that bike.

I have heard both negative and positive things from people who have been ATV riders a lot longer than I have. Many of them think the Raptor is a better quad overall but the Banshee is easier to handle. The overall concensus is that it was a good choice.

no matter what you do, your sill riding

I have a banshee and a ds650. i like them both, alot. The ds pulls more on the bottom end but my banshee walks around it and then some. The banshee was not much of a change for me as i rode a blaster previously and went to a banshee. I love the way the banshees power is and how it sounds all over and how it just pulls and keeps you on edge. I like the light weight as apposed to my ds which is a cow

all in all, if your doing some drag racing and a decent amount of trail riding the banshee is an awesome choice.

When looking for a used one, just look for the usual, rust, leaks when running or after running, bent anything such as subframe or frame and A arms. Also try and check bearings like in the axle carrier and front wheels, i agree on the filter, also if you can, pull the filter and try an look from the back and into the carbs to see if they are dirty and the guy just tried to clean the filter for it to look good.

You guys are giving me great info. I live in southern Minnesota and do a good bit of trail riding and jumping and what not, but love to go fast. I like the predator, but it seems like it costs a LOT to mod it, and the gains aren't that great. Please keep the info coming.

Well I talked to the guy today and he really liked the looks of the predator from the pictures I sent him. The thing is I work out of town all week till Thursday night, and he lives like 3 hours away. So hopefully next Friday I'll get to go see it and decide if I do want to trade. Another question, I've heard with two strokes that once you blow them up and rebuild them, they just seem to keep blowing up, any truth to that? And I was looking at one on craiglist and the guy said he changed the motor oil and tranmission oil regularly? On my predator there isn't motor and transmission, its the same, but how is it on a banshee sense they are 2 strokes? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Just make sure that your first ride on a shee. Make sure it its been taking good care of. I bought my first shee 2 months ago and was out buying another one a month later, I liked it that much. The more you spend on parts and make faster. the more you want to do. In the last 2 months I have learned more about a shee than any other quads in my life. (thanks BansheeHQ)4 strokes are torque. 2 strokes are raw power.

Answer to question's

It's not true about blowing up. If you rebuild it just make sure that the pistons are match to the jug. Who ever does the jugs should have the pistons to match the bore and hone ouf each jug. The t5rans is basicly the same as a 4 stroke. It the trans is in the motor. Trans oil and motor oil is the same just like a 4 stroke. You got to mix gas for 2 strokes. I mix mine 32 to 1. 16oz's of oil to 4 gallons of gas.

i love recruiting!

-mixing gas becomes second nature.

-your friends are downplaying 2 strokes because they know your going to be faster :D

-you DO have to buy 2 of everything but thats just means your twice as fast

-DONT buy a boost bottle. its a proven boost of bullshit.

-same goes for reed spacers, unless you absolutley NEED them for aftermarket carb bowls to clear the clutch arm

-all years of parts fit!

-RollinRhino is married for a reason, he got his wife a banshee before him! Rule # 1, keep the women happy

-routine maitenance is easy as pie, anyone on the site has and knows of a procedure for everything you could ever want to know, from lube and oil, to tools for checking and measuring wear.

-you absolutly MUST buy a Clymers manual and read it cover to cover. Your learning curve of a mechanic will thank you as this book has been revised about 8 times now and shows exploded views and maitenance/overhaul procedures for every part on the bike including maximum wear tolerances. (solid information indeed) $40 on fleabay

lastly, fuck thumpers. My lungs smoke and so does my ride. There is a wealth of information on the site for you to learn from. Use the search feature, make some friends and enjoy your time here!