pyramid reeds vs v force 3

rtg_61184

i did a search and didnt come up with much. has anyone ever used the pyramid reed valves from duncan racing or any other pyramid system. how did they perform and how do they compare to the v force 3 system. i have t5s with porting and polishing k&n pods timing advanced +4 stock carbs for now and boyesen pro series reeds. thanks for your input

I did some reading on the Duncan site, and I did find this bit of info about the Pyramid Reeds.

"Reed pedal life will vary depending on the RPM range used. The higher the RPM range of usage, the lower the reed pedal life will be. Life can vary from 10-100 hours and should be checked during regular top end maintenance. "

I've had a set of V-Force II's almost since they came out, and I've only replaced the reeds once. In my opinion, if you have the money for the V-Force's, then buy them, because you won't find anything better.

In my opinion, the onl;y other reed setup that even flows close to the vf3's is a set of retro fitted TZ500 cages with carbon tech reeds.

VF3's and VF2's are close to the same and Boyesen RAD valves are also about the same.

TZ500 reed cages are actually a bit better, but they are besmoing harder to come buy and you have to know what you're doing to make them work.

The pyramid valves are a scam, IMO. I have always wondered about the perfomance and longevity of the small side petals. :geek:

I've used the pyramid valve. Its ok for a almost stock motor. But after you get into drag porting and 4mils they seem to lack the flow to keep up and start to make less power compared to some other cages. The most important thing to look for on a cage is Tip area. If you look at the pyramids the main petals are more narrow then a stock cage and the side petals are triangle so they dont have much of a tip. Go with the tried and true V-Force. I'll see if I can't scrape up that old dyno chart again.

found it

124en88.jpg

Edited by Fouledout421

• 13 years later...
On 10/15/2007 at 10:07 AM, FireHead said:

VF3's and VF2's are close to the same and Boyesen RAD valves are also about the same.

TZ500 reed cages are actually a bit better, but they are besmoing harder to come buy and you have to know what you're doing to make them work.

The pyramid valves are a scam, IMO. I have always wondered about the perfomance and longevity of the small side petals. :geek:

I've been in the drag racing game since the 70s..these Pyramid cages have been around since like late 80s that I can remember, they aren't really that popular and if they were any better than others, they would have exploded like the VFs did...so yeah, the Pyramid Valve has been around for decades, but one seldom hears anything really impacting about them...I'd say stick with what works for like 90% of the users...VFs or RADs...I have a set of really well ported and massaged RADs for my ATC 370R with an ESR-ported 41mm Keihin Air Striker and the torque and HP I gained were to say the least "great"...but in the quest for speed, I just installed a 46mm Lectron on my 85 370R Tripod and I'm going to try a set of VForce's that in my garage/shop, I ported and massaged to match the carb bore and the UPP intake I needed to fit that Lectron...so far during the heat cycles, the motor sounds  and feels like a beast...and she revs smoother than with the RAD...just my 2 cents...

You can still buy the petals for 2-4.

anyway word is that VF2s for drag applications are the best. I have no first hand knowledge of this but have heard this multiple times. Cascade Innovations tested all the reeds and found VF4 had the best power throughout the curve. I believe they are better than VF2s across the board except for wide open (drag) riding.

Gusto's correct 

My son and I did a bunch of reed testing including some for HQ Sponsor FAST Racing 

Nothing ET'd faster on our asphalt Banshee's than V-Force II's 

That only applies to WOT operation. On our stock stroke/unported cylinders with only bolt ons and ported 4mil Serval the V-Force 4's are the way to go. They give up a little on top end but low and mid range stomped all over the 2's.  

• Like 1