What is a good Squish Clearance?

i read somewhere that a rm 125 has .010 :blink: :shrug:

Not for very long...especially on a 1 ring motor...

My buddy set my 10 mil 68mm bore alky bike at .050.

He usually sets up bigger bore bikes (72mm or bigger pistons) around .040.

Less squish, more timing!!

Alright guys thanks. I will check mine and let you know what it is. I was just wondering because I got my drag ported 4mill blaster piston engine back to gether. The domes are supose to be blaster piston stroker domes for running race fuel. After about a tank of fuel the compression is only 140 psi. I used my good snap on gauge.

josh

Well just measured the squish. got .083 on the LH side and .082 on the RH side. Guess that explains the low compression on Patriot Racings Race Fuel Domes. I used the thin Cometic base gasket as well. The one they advertise as being thinner than stock to help raise the compression.

josh

Yea I put the solder parallel with the wrist pin. I smashed 3 pieces on each side to make sure and they all came out about that same thickness. I emailed him to see what he says. My banshee runs great just down on compression from where it should be. 135-140 psi with dan's race fuel domes.

josh

what cc domes are they ?

i run 17cc domes with blaster pistons and get around 165-170

I also was told that the blasters are 6mm shorter than stock, which accounts for the squish

if i ran 17cc with stock piston heights the compression would probly be over 200.

Not for very long...especially on a 1 ring motor...

My buddy set my 10 mil 68mm bore alky bike at .050.

He usually sets up bigger bore bikes (72mm or bigger pistons) around .040.

Less squish, more timing!!

Some of those smaller motors are set up tight from the OEM. You gotta remember that piston mass, rod length, rpm, and such all play into how much squish you need. Those buck and quarters have very low reciprocating mass so they run rather tight.

Brandon

what cc domes are they ?

i run 17cc domes with blaster pistons and get around 165-170

I also was told that the blasters are 6mm shorter than stock, which accounts for the squish

if i ran 17cc with stock piston heights the compression would probly be over 200.

The domes are not stamped with a size. I believe they said Blaze RG 3.3 when I got them. Wrote in perminate marker. RG i think is Race Gas not sure what the rest of dans code is.

What kind of crankshaft are you running. The 6mm sounds right because I am running a +4 mm long rod stroker crank. Maybe the domes I got are cut for the regular 795 sereis pistons that you would run with a long rod stroker crank? Those pistons woudl have the wrist pin moved up 5mm to account for the 5mm longer rod. Blaster pistons are 6mm shorter so a difference of 1mm.

I had some trouble with Dan's domes when I had my 70mm motor, he made them too big and my compression was like 150 or so, I sent them back and he cut me some new ones for free.

I am sure he will take care of me. Hopefully he will send some new ons out that way I can just swap them out and not have my shee down for a week or so.