tsr 2 stroke porting software

I have no knowledge of your abilities or equipment, but porting is a true art form that takes years of experience (and cylinders) to perfect. I wouldn't dare attempt it myself. As for your question, I'm not sure who else makes softwre for it.

i have all the equipment i need and the only way to get good is to do it, a lot of people try to discourage me from doing my own porting, but everyone has to start sometime, my plan is to get really good and open my own shop.

i have all the equipment i need and the only way to get good is to do it, a lot of people try to discourage me from doing my own porting, but everyone has to start sometime, my plan is to get really good and open my own shop.

Well said, some of us have "the feel" for it, I say giv'er, you'll do fine. Check out McDizzy's 2 stroke page, there is alot of info on there on some of the software available, as well a cylinder port mapping.

Good luck to you :beer:

I'm looking to start doing all my own porting and was thinking about buying the tsr 2 stroe porting software, has anyone used it, and is there any better software out there??

It depends on what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it. From an engineering standpoint the TSR software is pretty low-end, but if you don't have any experience with any CAD or CFD software, it is probably your best bet. The TSR software does take a bit more knowledge of engine theory and operation than the Race Logic templates do of course. :geek:

Well said, some of us have "the feel" for it, I say giv'er, you'll do fine. Check out McDizzy's 2 stroke page, there is alot of info on there on some of the software available, as well a cylinder port mapping.

Good luck to you :beer:

Thanks for the info, I've been reading all macdizzy's stuff, thats where I got that boost bottle post but everyone here thinks he's an idiot.

It depends on what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it. From an engineering standpoint the TSR software is pretty low-end, but if you don't have any experience with any CAD or CFD software, it is probably your best bet. The TSR software does take a bit more knowledge of engine theory and operation than the Race Logic templates do of course. :geek:

well I'm tring to become someone who does good port jobs, I'm willing to learn whatever it takes. I was told tsr software was the best. what is cad and cfd. Thanks for all the input!

well I'm tring to become someone who does good port jobs, I'm willing to learn whatever it takes. I was told tsr software was the best. what is cad and cfd. Thanks for all the input!

CAD = Computer Aided Design or Computer Aided Drafting

CFD = Computational Fluid Dynamics

I would guess that without an engineering degree, the TSR software is probably the way to go. As I recall, it can be a bit cumbersome to use at times though. :thumbsup:

CAD = Computer Aided Design or Computer Aided Drafting

CFD = Computational Fluid Dynamics

I would guess that without an engineering degree, the TSR software is probably the way to go. As I recall, it can be a bit cumbersome to use at times though. :thumbsup:

TSR is very good software...relatively easy to use although the print functions are cumbersome as hell due to DOS programming. You'll need to download "snag-it "to print off port specs and even then youll have a hard time on pipe designs. Ill be releasing a much more comprehensive software package later this year in windows format based on Excell programming. It will have a ton more parameters to work with, much better combustion software and more comprehensive combustion chamber design software as well, and its alot easier to use....Jim

Edited by PassionRE

TSR is very good software...relatively easy to use although the print functions are cumbersome as hell due to DOS programming. You'll need to download "snag-it "to print off port specs and even then youll have a hard time on pipe designs. Ill be releasing a much more comprehensive software package later this year in windows format based on Excell programming. It will have a ton more parameters to work with, much better combustion software and more comprehensive combustion chamber design software as well, and its alot easier to use....Jim

will this be freeware?

if not whats the going on this? also will it be downlaoded or sent on cd's?

there's MOTA and EngMod2T as well. I haven't used them, but have read quite a bit on them.....probably far more involved than the average 2 stroke porting dude would need

best thing to do would be to read some tech articles online about porting. there are many free utilities that will calculate port heights and such as well.

the programs that you buy take into consideration your head design, pipe design and such. it's definitely more involved than clicking a check box that indicates you are porting for T5's, a stock head, etc.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I played around with my own porting, even bought all the tools and dies and crap. read lots of books and did a lot of research. Bought a bunch of cylinders from friends and ebay and practiced. I actually had some pretty good runners and some really really horrible ones. When it came down to it I figured out I didn't have the time needed to really get good at it.

If you have the time and the patience and the knowledge or at least access to the knowledge it can be done. But don't expect results right away. Don't expect them even after you destroy a handful of cylinders...

- Jared