Help Me Decide on a New Truck

If you read my EDIT, I put that the Aisin is available only in the Cab and Chasis Versions. So you will not have to worry about what tranny you have, you will have the 68rfe tranny, 6 speed automatic, with the +/- buttons allowing you to shift up or down when you please in tow/haul mode.

And another thing for the option of the 5.9 or the 6.7 Cummins, you will have to ask your dealer, because I am not 100% about whether or not you will have the option of both.

For the Exhaust Brake, restriction is created in the exhaust system during the coasting condition. This increases pressure in the exhaust manifold, slowing the pistons during the exhaust cycle when the exhaust valves are open. This produces improved retarding power that helps slow the vehicle. The Exhaust Brake produces a backpressure somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 psi, resulting in enhanced retarding power. So if you are towing along, and normally when you are coming down a gradient, you let off the throttle. So if you are in 6th gear coasting, the exhaust brake wont be doing much. But if you shift down to 5th, and since he rev's are a lot higher, the exhaust brake will "kick in" harder and slow down the engine.

This is also another feature I like:

The Exhaust Brake will enable the engine to reach normal coolant operating temperatures twice as quickly at idle. By closing the Exhaust Brake at idle, backpressure is increased and the result in a higher load on the engine. This creates more heat to more quickly increase coolant temperature. In very cold climates, such as in Alaska, coolant temperatures may not typically be high enough to open the coolant system thermostat. Under these conditions, using the Exhaust Brake for idle warm-up will result in higher idle coolant temperatures than are possible without the Exhaust Brake.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok the 68rfe is in the 2500 and 3500 trucks, The aisin is in the cab chassis only. And about having a choice of engine, (Not really) if you order the truck it will have the 6.7 for sure, if you happen to find the earlier 07's you will get the 5.9 and the old 48re four speed auto. unless you get a stick.

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew you could order them with ever engine you wanted a little while ago, but probably since they are now being produced for late 07/early 08 they will only have the 6.7 :thanks:

Another thing FireHead, is you will have the option of 4.10 gears or 3.73's. Even with the 4.10's you can still run 70 mph at just around 2,000 rpms, with the 3.73's 70 mph comes in at about 1,775 rpms, whcih should help out on fuel economy.

Edited by Dinner

Ok the 68rfe is in the 2500 and 3500 trucks, The aisin is in the cab chassis only. And about having a choice of engine, (Not really) if you order the truck it will have the 6.7 for sure, if you happen to find the earlier 07's you will get the 5.9 and the old 48re four speed auto. unless you get a stick.

If the latter were true and I found a 5.9, would I want a manual or auto transmission?

Like I said before, I don't want a cab chassis. :thanks:

For the Exhaust Brake, restriction is created in the exhaust system during the coasting condition. This increases pressure in the exhaust manifold, slowing the pistons during the exhaust cycle when the exhaust valves are open. This produces improved retarding power that helps slow the vehicle. The Exhaust Brake produces a backpressure somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 psi, resulting in enhanced retarding power. So if you are towing along, and normally when you are coming down a gradient, you let off the throttle. So if you are in 6th gear coasting, the exhaust brake wont be doing much. But if you shift down to 5th, and since he rev's are a lot higher, the exhaust brake will "kick in" harder and slow down the engine.

This is also another feature I like:

The Exhaust Brake will enable the engine to reach normal coolant operating temperatures twice as quickly at idle. By closing the Exhaust Brake at idle, backpressure is increased and the result in a higher load on the engine. This creates more heat to more quickly increase coolant temperature. In very cold climates, such as in Alaska, coolant temperatures may not typically be high enough to open the coolant system thermostat. Under these conditions, using the Exhaust Brake for idle warm-up will result in higher idle coolant temperatures than are possible without the Exhaust Brake.

I understand how an exhaust brake works, I was more curious how it played into the transmission shift pattern that you were describing earlier as it sort of didn't make sense.

I also like the engine warm up feature that the exhaust brake has. :thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew you could order them with ever engine you wanted a little while ago, but probably since they are now being produced for late 07/early 08 they will only have the 6.7 :thanks:

Another thing FireHead, is you will have the option of 4.10 gears or 3.73's. Even with the 4.10's you can still run 70 mph at just around 2,000 rpms, with the 3.73's 70 mph comes in at about 1,775 rpms, whcih should help out on fuel economy.

I would definitely be looking at the 3.73 gear ratio with the lsd option. :thumbsup:

If the latter were true and I found a 5.9, would I want a manual or auto transmission?

Like I said before, I don't want a cab chassis. :thanks:

Personally i would get a manual just because I like them, but in realitiy the auto will be fine if you don't turn the power up, and if you don't tow alot of weight. Also with a manual if you star modding the engine too much you will have to get a performance clutch.

check out this site www.tdr1.com you can find out about alot of stuff on the dodges just by reading

Personally i would get a manual just because I like them, but in realitiy the auto will be fine if you don't turn the power up, and if you don't tow alot of weight. Also with a manual if you star modding the engine too much you will have to get a performance clutch.

check out this site www.tdr1.com you can find out about alot of stuff on the dodges just by reading

That's an interesting website. Thanks. :thanks:

I understand how an exhaust brake works, I was more curious how it played into the transmission shift pattern that you were describing earlier as it sort of didn't make sense.

I also like the engine warm up feature that the exhaust brake has. :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. But from what I've been gathering, when you are in tow/haul mode. And you are coming down a hill, and you would like to slow down. Start to coast, click the (-) to go to the next lowest gear, then the exhaust brake will begin braking the engine. Now I could be wrong, because I have not been able to read much about the new exhaust brake on the Cummins. So hopefully you can find more info :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. But from what I've been gathering, when you are in tow/haul mode. And you are coming down a hill, and you would like to slow down. Start to coast, click the (-) to go to the next lowest gear, then the exhaust brake will begin braking the engine. Now I could be wrong, because I have not been able to read much about the new exhaust brake on the Cummins. So hopefully you can find more info :thumbsup:

One of the diesel truck magazines I bought at the airport last week talked about it in a chassis/cab configuration (I'm not sure if that makes it different or not). The magazine was testing the truck and they experienced a crap load of check engine lights while they had. The article made me sad so I stopped reading it, but I got two new diesel truck magazines on the way home so I am all set for readin this evening. :geek:

First of all Navistar owns International, International makes the motor. Ford owned a SMALL portion of Cummins in like, the 80s, and sold that portion back. There is many good 6.0 powerstroke stories, the 05s and newer have hardly any problems. The cummins is the motor to have, but they don't have a good tranny, and the fit and finish of Dodge just isn't up to bar. Chevrolet is also nice, but the new body style reminds me of a Nissan. Wait a few months for the Cummins 6.7 and Powerstroke 6.4 to prove themselves and then decide, but I'd still say the best all around truck is the Ford.

One of the diesel truck magazines I bought at the airport last week talked about it in a chassis/cab configuration (I'm not sure if that makes it different or not). The magazine was testing the truck and they experienced a crap load of check engine lights while they had. The article made me sad so I stopped reading it, but I got two new diesel truck magazines on the way home so I am all set for readin this evening. :geek:

Well that's crummy :laugh: There are quite a few people I know that have had good luck with them... Everyone was saying how much all the emissions stuff is going to affect things(all the little bugs, etc). So it will be nice to see what the trucks are like once they get all the bugs worked out, in all 3 makes.

Well that's crummy :laugh: There are quite a few people I know that have had good luck with them... Everyone was saying how much all the emissions stuff is going to affect things(all the little bugs, etc). So it will be nice to see what the trucks are like once they get all the bugs worked out, in all 3 makes.

The only thing I see as being a real problem that may surface with all of the new emissions eequipment is that catalyst or particulate traps may not last as long as they are supposed to. A used up particulate trap could very well cost an owner a few thousand dollars to properly (they are considered hazardous waste, just like the exhaust filters on the dynos at my work) dispose of it if the dealer doesn't cover it under warranty. :confused:

First of all Navistar owns International, International makes the motor. Ford owned a SMALL portion of Cummins in like, the 80s, and sold that portion back. There is many good 6.0 powerstroke stories, the 05s and newer have hardly any problems. The cummins is the motor to have, but they don't have a good tranny, and the fit and finish of Dodge just isn't up to bar. Chevrolet is also nice, but the new body style reminds me of a Nissan. Wait a few months for the Cummins 6.7 and Powerstroke 6.4 to prove themselves and then decide, but I'd still say the best all around truck is the Ford.

Yea the 1st and 2nd gen Dodge trucks are not known for their body, interior, but to me that doesn't really matter. If my body doesn't look good in a few years, or my interior doesn't look like a palace, I could care less. I would much rather have an engine that will out last most of the other engines out there. And for the trannies in the dodges, some people are lucky...others are not. Just my opinion I have read about guys that have test drove the new Dodge's and GM's finding that the new trannies in the Dodges have improved a huge amount, and shift smoother and better than the Allison :shrug:

I agree about the #1 important thing in buying a truck being the motor, but if your going to be spending +/- $40,000 don't you want to be able to feel comfortable inside, not just have a bulletproof motor with a hit and miss transmission. Again I'm not saying the Dodges are complete crap, or the Ford is king shit, but to me all around the new Super Duty is the winner. Although a Super Duty with a Cummins and an Allison would have to be my dream truck.

I agree about the #1 important thing in buying a truck being the motor, but if your going to be spending +/- $40,000 don't you want to be able to feel comfortable inside, not just have a bulletproof motor with a hit and miss transmission. Again I'm not saying the Dodges are complete crap, or the Ford is king shit, but to me all around the new Super Duty is the winner. Although a Super Duty with a Cummins and an Allison would have to be my dream truck.

I feel perfectly fine in Dodge's. The 3rd gen's are a lot better than the 2nd, and I find my 2nd gen comfortable. No it doesn't have all the snazzy new features as the newer ones do. But then again I guess I don't need those :laugh: I'm just having a hard time understanding a few thing's about the new Super Duty(engine wise). They still only have put 10 bolts on the heads. Now the 6.0L had problems with the heads and or head gaskets(not saying all of them). And that was with a single turbo. Now the new 6.4L have a Sequential Turbo set up, having a max of 42PSI, and still only having 10 Bolts per head :ohmy: Sure they have made them a little beefier, but still. And I'm sure these new trannies will outlast the previous ones on our 2nd gen's. I guess I'm just saying most of this because our 2nd Gen has only given us 1 problem, and that was the VP44(Fuel Injector Pump), and nothing else has gone wrong with it :thumbsup:(Other than the normal maintenance) Just my .2 cents :laugh:

Edited by Dinner