Adjustable Timing Plate

87sheerips

I installed an adjustable timing plate this weekend, set at +4 degreees. That was added the mods in my sig., and I couldnt beliieve the difference!! I ran 50/50 110 and 93 octane with klots techniplate to be safe, since I didnt know my compression. I noticed better throttle response, quicker revving, longer powerband, with more up top. Nothing tragic in the increase, but seat of the pants for sure. I am very impressed with this mod, and for 35 bucks, I think probly the best mod for the money!! :thumbsup:

One question for me: What exactly does the advanced timing do to affect octane requirements? And, if any, how many more rpms can it turn compared to no advance?

Id like to know the science behind this, and how far I can go! :whistling:

• Like 1

an adjustable timing plate is a good value. i dont know of any other mod that can give you so much power everywhere in the rpm range and yet cost so little. i truely believe that yamaha should of created all banshees right out of the box with 4 degrees of additional timing.

it seems that +4 has no disadvantages and only postive benefits.

i cant answer youre questions about how far you can go. no one can answer that without knowing youre compression, dome size and other engine mods you have done. youve got to do a teardown of the head and get youre dome size if you dont have anyone who would already know for sure.

also its a good idea to do a compression test to see where you are at before changing the timing around.

however, i have read that most people are generally safe with 4 degrees advanced over stock.

• Like 1

also youre banshee its an 87, thats the necest looking older banshee ive ever seen. the colour scheme is it factory? every time i see that pic it makes me want to ditch my blue fenders and grey seat and grab some vintage stuff. you have got to get some more pictures of it, some bigger ones and post them up.

also youre banshee its an 87, thats the necest looking older banshee ive ever seen. the colour scheme is it factory? every time i see that pic it makes me want to ditch my blue fenders and grey seat and grab some vintage stuff. you have got to get some more pictures of it, some bigger ones and post them up.

Thanks for the comments man, and the rest of my engine mods are listed in my sig... I have plenty of pics in the images section, prolly have to search for them though. I guess I can post some up here if u want? :shrug:

Ohh, i bought the graphics off ebay, the vintage style i think its made by one industires?

ok since were on this subjuct i just ordered a timing plate for my 2 banshees and wanted to know if i would have to run a race fuel mix? im on the stock heads still compression around 120 on both bikes elevation at home is about 5100 ft. and i go ride at glamis/ gordons alot the only other mods i have are t6's on both bikes and k&n pods on both. thanks for your advice.

ok since were on this subjuct i just ordered a timing plate for my 2 banshees and wanted to know if i would have to run a race fuel mix? im on the stock heads still compression around 120 on both bikes elevation at home is about 5100 ft. and i go ride at glamis/ gordons alot the only other mods i have are t6's on both bikes and k&n pods on both. thanks for your advice.

At your elevation you should be ok with pump gas on +4. Every motor is diferent so listen to it, it will tell you if it dont like something you did. At glamis I would put 4:1 ratio of race gas on that set up i.e. 4 gallons pump gas 1 gallon 110 race. That is MO and a good place to start but listen to your bike.

At your elevation you should be ok with pump gas on +4. Every motor is diferent so listen to it, it will tell you if it dont like something you did. At glamis I would put 4:1 ratio of race gas on that set up i.e. 4 gallons pump gas 1 gallon 110 race. That is MO and a good place to start but listen to your bike.

you know what was weird though after I installed this, I bumped my mains up to 165 for about 10 degrees, and last weekend was around mid 30's. I fouled a plug, and my plugs seemed to be wet. I didnt think that weather would make that much of a difference, especially since I ran 50/50 mix of 110/93 octane. Im guna lean this bitch out, i bet ill notice even more!! :whistling:

Mine richened up like crazy with only about a 20-30 degree temp change also. Is the advanced timing suppost to make it more finiky to weather/elevation changes? 'Cause it was blubbering like a fool in 70-80 degree weather but ran like a top in 40 deg. :confused:

Mine richened up like crazy with only about a 20-30 degree temp change also. Is the advanced timing suppost to make it more finiky to weather/elevation changes? 'Cause it was blubbering like a fool in 70-80 degree weather but ran like a top in 40 deg. :confused:

Hmmmmm, looks like added timing makes the motor more responsive to weather changes. I wonder if this could be proven, I mean we have 2 claims of this :confused:

That's the conclusion I'm coming to, I haven't had the banshee a real long time but before I advanced the timing I did ride in diffrent weather (few times in 30* and then up to 70-80*) and it didn't seem to effect it much if at all.

when youre using advance timing plate do you need to run on pump gas/race gas mix or can you only run pump gas?

and what could be the best advance i could do on mine...i'm looking about buying one but i don't really know where to set it

the normal setting, which usually allows you to run pump gas is +4 degrees. That being said, you will really need to test your compression to determine the use of race or pump gas. I think 155-160 psi = race gas (110 octane)

I just installed and set at +4. I decided to run 50/50 pump/110 to be safe until I see what my compression is....