+2+1 A ARM BALL JOINTS

woodro77

I have a set of aftermarket extended a arms and i need new ball joints , i dont know what brand they are ,the ball joints go through the arm and have a nut holding them on , uppers and lowers have the same joint , where do i find new ones . i know that the spindles have to be reamed to fit them , if that helps .

Edited by woodro77

I got into the same kinda deal, mine are alba, and messed up a little so the alba joints wouldnt fit. Anyway I got the Ricky Stator ball joints, cut on my albas a little and walah, it worked. Go to Ricky Stator and check theirs out, may get lucky like I did.

I got into the same kinda deal, mine are alba, and messed up a little so the alba joints wouldnt fit. Anyway I got the Ricky Stator ball joints, cut on my albas a little and walah, it worked. Go to Ricky Stator and check theirs out, may get lucky like I did.

Most aftermarket a-arms use tie rod ends from VW bugs as ball joints. Some use Ford Ranchero rod ends. Go down to the local parts store and check some out, see if they match up to yours. I can't remember if they are inner or outer, as one is reverse threads...so pay attention to that as well. You will save a lot of money by buying them from the parts store vs. an a-arm maker.

I'm not sure with your setup, but a lot of the guys who used the VW joints on 250R's would grind some material away to allow the ball joint to have more travel when the suspension is fully extended. It helps make the joints last longer. Not sure if it's required on a banshee....probably depends alot on the length of your shocks.

Most aftermarket a-arms use tie rod ends from VW bugs as ball joints. Some use Ford Ranchero rod ends. Go down to the local parts store and check some out, see if they match up to yours. I can't remember if they are inner or outer, as one is reverse threads...so pay attention to that as well. You will save a lot of money by buying them from the parts store vs. an a-arm maker.

I think there are some arms out there that use tierod ends from a Chrysler Cordova (Cordoba?) as well. :thumbsup:

I know you can go to Grainger and get Heim joints, that's where I'm getting the heims for my drag Jarms....

He would then have to come up with misalignment spacers for those heim inmorder to make the whole deal work. I haven't seen any generic misalignment spacers that would get the job done on Banshee a-arms. You would have to buy them from some one like Jansenn. :thumbsup:

im going to try my local auto parts store for the ball joints ,,

come on guys someone has to know what type of arms these are ?

They could be really really old Lonestars. Just a guess.

Basically there are only 2 Yamaha style ball joints, one has a 14mm diameter bolt, and one has a 16mm diameter bolt, measure 'em up, and see which ones will work for ya. The 14mms are about $35 a piece, the 16mm ones areactually cheaper, RickyStator had a good buy on them as I remember. I've never seen ones with that grease fitting tapped into them, that's kinda weird, that might have been a backyard invention, you don't need it either, the BJs are sealed so no grease is getting out.

EDIT: If the spindles have to be reamed, then they are not Yamaha style ball joints, so forget what I just said. If you didn't ream the spindles allready, buy the Yamaha style ones. If you reamed them, then they are probably Honda style BJs, but they could be something else.

They could be really really old Lonestars. Just a guess.

Basically there are only 2 Yamaha style ball joints, one has a 14mm diameter bolt, and one has a 16mm diameter bolt, measure 'em up, and see which ones will work for ya. The 14mms are about $35 a piece, the 16mm ones areactually cheaper, RickyStator had a good buy on them as I remember. I've never seen ones with that grease fitting tapped into them, that's kinda weird, that might have been a backyard invention, you don't need it either, the BJs are sealed so no grease is getting out.

I have not seen a set of a-arms like that before. I have no idea who made them.

The zerk on the ball joint would be something that would be found on an aftermarket VW or Chrysler tie rod end that some a-arm manufacturers use. :thumbsup:

these ball joint are bigger so the spindles have to be reamed , i have 2 sets of spindles , 1 reamed , 1 stock , so it doesnt matter which ones i get ,but i would like to get a set that fit stock spindles , i looked on ricky stators website and didnt see anything , i will call them tomorrow and check .

i know they are for a banshee because i took them off a shee myself ,

got these arms and ohlins front shocks and i cant wait to try them out