need help!

the easiest way would be to right-click on an empty spot on the taskbar (in between the start button and clock/time), then click "Task Manager". Alternatively you can hold down (simultaneously) CTRL + ALT + DEL and click Task Manager button.

Click the Processes Tab

Click the word/heading "Image Name" twice so that it is in alphabetical order. You can also do this to the CPU or Memory headers to sort by current CPU or Memory usage by that process.

Not all processes can be stopped. especially those of system processes.

To end a process: left-click a process name and click End Processes.

You can also click "show processes from all users" which will populate the list with processes used by any other username/login. If it looks suspicious or you don't know what a particular process is, then google is your friend. In google type (without quotes) "Process alg.exe (or whatever the task name is that you want to identify)"

Good Luck. Remember, some processes are crucial to running programs but many processes in use by your name/login are most likely safe to close out of without a meltdown.

Thanks lee, the tip is much appreciated. shut down a few owner processes and things are back up to speed. :thumbsup: oh ya,i have 1 gig of ram and am running XP.

1gb and XP? You must have a ton of stuff in startup, printer software, music and download services...etc...

Tell me you don't have Norton internet security, the biggest RAM hog of all!!

Might want to go into Start, Run, msconfig

Check your startup items, that'll help too. Shutting down the process in task manager is only good until your next reboot.

nah , i'm running mcafee. will check out the msconfig and see if i can't get a few applications shut down. just got the wife a laptop for christmas so i'm pretty much free to remove all the music download software. should perform alot better without the clutter! thanks again.

• 12 years later...